Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Visible "square mesh" on Retina Screen

I bought a new Macbook Pro Retina Display last month (running El Capitan, version 10.11.4) and ever since I got it I have noticed a very faint grid or mesh over the entire screen. It isn't readily visible and I've been laughed out of two authorised Apple resellers (I live in Uruguay) because they can't see it, and diagnostics test come back negative. Two friends of mine who actually took their time staring at my screen have seen it however. What's more, I'm certain I'm not imagining this abnormality because I happen to own a second Macbook Pro Retina Display that doesn't have this issue.

The grid I see doesn't ruin the screen, but I'm a designer and usually spend hours working with very fine detail and this grid is becoming more and more annoying. The fact that it shouldn't be there and I just paid 2,500 dollars for this computer should be enough to warrant a solution for this problem. I have looked at the screen with a magnifying glass but then all I see are the actual pixels divided into red, green and blue. This couldn't be what I see with the naked eye unless I had bionic eyes, right? I have no way of contacting official Apple support from here…

The biggest problem so far has been capturing a photograph of the elusive fault, but I managed to take one that (when magnified) shows it pretty well. Remember, I see this ALL THE TIME with my naked eyes!

Image:

User uploaded file

One more thing: a tech-saavy friend of mine suggested that it could be possible that new retina displays might be manufactured differently, and that light wave frequency could behave strangely with the way my eyes (and some other people's eyes) perceive what's happening on the screen. I really hope this isn't right, but if there is anything to what he says, shouldn't I get a solution anyway?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:10 PM

16 replies

Sep 20, 2017 2:02 PM in response to lpinca

I specifically just bought this computer to upgrade from my MBP2013 without sacrificing the ports.

Immediately completely distracted by this grid. There are some perceptive aberrations (if you focus on one point it disappears) much like a DLC display wrt the RGB, but it's impossibly distracting. Can they affix a 2013 screen to the 2015 body?

Jun 21, 2016 7:18 AM in response to CharlyRoxer

I have EXACTLY same problem. I questioned like 10-15 ppl and no one could see that mesh but me. I think you mate is right. God thank you I'm not alone with this issue. Also I noticed that viewing on display at different angles makes difference. For example, I barely see the mesh when I look straight on the screen, but it's very noticeable when I look from above or bottom. I think this is not a malfunction or smth, it's just the way we see it. Get used to it. I work with my MBPR for about a year and now I'm very rarely noticing that mesh, though it was a **** first few month cuz I'm designer as well and I can't ignore such details, that's my job.

Jun 21, 2016 1:33 PM in response to Rysz

I think you don't get it, or I describe it wrong.

mbpr is 144. I know. I'm not talking about the digital resolution or pixel density or smht. I mean that the mesh's size is about a pixel, it's small, it's not like kb dirt. Also It's not a digital mesh, screenshot won't help you, It feels like there's a tiny barely visible almost transparent mesh sheet between display itself and glass, that is barely visible on specific angles. Try to look very close from above with something white on your screen, like this page maybe you can see it. It takes time to notice.

Sep 30, 2016 1:51 AM in response to CharlyRoxer

I see this mesh too even on the latest screenshot. I think it's a designer illness - I look at my screen at lot (15" retina MBP) with great awareness for details and the size of 1px. So I thought it's me noticing this mesh and everybody else should not bother. But maybe it avtually is a bug. I never noticed this kind of mesh on my 13" retina MBP or on iPhone / iPad. Just want to confirm this as some kind of a problem bc sometimes it is annoying when I notice "mesh", thinking about the physics of my device... which I should not.

Visible "square mesh" on Retina Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.