Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro freezes when hooking up external display

I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro that is have problems with displaying the image onto an ASUS vx279q monitor. I am currently trying to connect via a thunderbolt mini display to display port cable and when hooking the connector in the MacBook it attempts to adjust resolution on the MacBook while displaying nothing on the ext monitor. The MacBook then proceeds to freeze requiring a press of the power button to reset it.

While a thunderbolt to hdmi dongle>hdmi cable>monitor did work at displaying to my monitor that port is now taken up by my xbox one fed through a splitter from living room through the attic and back down again. I would like to avoid another splitter and addition stuff on my desk. The Xbox one is also weirdly not compatible with display port.

Also my girlfriends MacBook Air (early 15) hooks to the monitor just fine using a thunderbolt to display port cable.

Her computer is factory fresh, while mine has had a recent hard drive replacement to a Samsung 850evo SSD with a fresh install of El Capitan because of the originals failure. I also increased ram to 8gb while I was in there if it makes any difference.

Both computers running El Capitan 10.11.4

These are all third party cables and connectors I bought at my local computer parts store. I even tried a hdmi>DisplayPort cable to hook to my existing thunderbolt>HDMI dongle and no dice. Same problem. So the third time I went back to the store for a new solution the guy pointed me to a thunderbolt to DisplayPort, he even hooked it up to a brand new display MacBook Pro (non retina) and the same monitor I recently purchased. It worked right off the bat.

Trying to have everything hooked up at start up ends in the same freezing result. Ive also tried resetting NVRAM and SMC to no avail.

Im unsure of how to identify whether this is a hardware issue with the laptop or desktop, or software problems with the thunderbolt..

OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Samsung 850evo 500gb SSD

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 11:22 AM

3 replies

Oct 12, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Darth_awesome

Not sure if this will help you or others with this issue, but I was going crazy with my 2016 macbook pro retina hanging when connecting my Dell 4k 32" monitor. I would have to hard reboot it every time the issue occurred (which was about once every couple days.

What I did that has caused me to not have the issue for about 2 weeks now is I stopped using any 3rd party apps (like RDM) that allowed me to crank up the resolution on my macbook beyond the maximum allowed in settings. By keeping my macbook at a resolution allowed in MacOS settings (I use Display Resolution "Scaled" and "More Space"), it seems to have cleared the issue for me. On my 15" Retina, Scaled with More Space = 1920 x 1200. I wish Apple supported higher resolutions on Macbook Pro Retina.

While I don't like working at the lower 1920 x 1200 resolution, I'd rather use that resolution to prevent the hangs.

Hopefully this helps others.

Regards,
Jason

MacBook Pro freezes when hooking up external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.