Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPad

My iPad was stolen from checked luggage at LGA in New York. I logged onto iCloud and put the iPad in Lost mode. No activity for 17 days then 3 emails from Apple:

1st email - iPad was found at 8:07 pm at *address in Brooklyn, NY

2nd email - iPad was placed in Lost mode at 8:07

3rd email at 8:39 - Find my iPad has been disabled

I had to answer the security questions to change my password to log onto iCloud. The iPad no longer shows up in my devices.

Any idea how in 30 minutes time they hacked both the 4 digit lock code AND my Apple password? My faith in Apple security is gone...

iPad

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:26 PM

15 replies

Apr 29, 2016 12:38 PM in response to marthacfromnc

marthacfromnc wrote:

No - There were no links in the emails - and all the damage was done before I even read them

To start out with, they will get past the 4-digit code by restoring the device, but removing Find My iPhone and is questionable.

marthacfromnc wrote:

I had to answer the security questions to change my password to log onto iCloud.

When did you do this? Did you log into iCloud from your computer to do this, or did you access iCloud somewhere else?

Apr 29, 2016 12:41 PM in response to marthacfromnc

I Can't explain exactly what happened to you, but I can tell you that I tried to log into my iCloud.com account the other day simply to check something and I was prompted to create a new password. So what I am saying is, I don't necessarily think your account was hacked because you were prompted to do this. I have seen a couple of other people talk about this happening recently, and I think it is Apple's insistence on telling us that we need stronger passwords and they are forcing us to create them.

I have experienced this in the past and in neither instance did I create a new password. I'm sure that I will have to do so, sooner or later, but I just decided to not log in the other day and deal with it later.

Apr 29, 2016 12:48 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The emails were about 8-8:30 pm. I didn't read them until around 10. I was using my desktop computer - tried to log on to iCloud, password failed, used the "i forgot my password" link to answer the security questions and change/create a new password. That's when I tried find my ipad and it no longer showed up under "devices". I had checked that almost every day and it always found my iPhone, but said the iPad was offline. Then Wednesday night it found the iPhone - which was the only device listed.

Apr 29, 2016 1:54 PM in response to marthacfromnc

Ok so it's not exactly easy to guess but does your middle name happen to be on the baggage tag? Since it was stolen out of the checked baggage, you should report it to TSA and LGA airport security. I'm sure one of their (crooked) agents is involved. Btw, I never put anything but clothing articles and toiletries in my checked baggage. I never trust baggage handlers anywhere in the world.

Apr 29, 2016 2:55 PM in response to ShagCA

Password - No the name was not on the luggage tag. Like I said - haven't used it since I got married, many years ago.

Luggage - I didn't intend to leave it in the checked bag. We were cramped in the ride to the airport so I stuck in right on top in the bag and just forgot until after I checked it. Went back to try and get it because I was worried it would be broken, but the agent said I couldn't get it back. After much correspondence with Delta, they are reimbursing me for the iPad, so it's not a financial loss - just an aggravation and now an Apple security concern.

New Question - Apple support gave me the iPad serial number. Wouldn't whoever has it now have to register it with an iCloud account in order to use it - and if so, can't Apple find out what account it's now associated with? She didn't offer that and I didn't think about it while I was on the phone with her.

Apr 29, 2016 3:49 PM in response to marthacfromnc

I see. I'm still curious how the thieves were able to disable activation lock. If it is in fact true, there is still a security hole in the device. What iOS version were you using on the device?

If the thieves were able to get into your account and disable Find my iPad, technically wouldn't that be no longer considered lost? Now anyone can become the device new owner.

Apr 29, 2016 4:07 PM in response to ShagCA

Guess you're right about anyone becoming the new owner... And curious isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe how I feel about my lock code and password being hacked. I'm completely over losing the physical device (especially since Delta is paying) - now it's the security issue that bothers me!

The ipad was 3 years old, and I don't know which iOS version was on it. Does using the restore to get around the lock code erase the ipad? I don't think there was any sensitive identity information on it but I'd like to think it's all gone now.

Apr 29, 2016 4:32 PM in response to marthacfromnc

Here's my guess as to how they did this:

They hacked your passcode. Now that they're in, they can open Settings -> iCloud to see the email / id you are using. They go to the iCloud web site, click Forgot my password, put in your email / id and choose "Get an email".

This email delivers to the iPad, they reset the password, disable Find my iPad, and the iPad is now off of your account.

Check your iCloud account email for Deleted password reset emails...

4-digit passcodes are very weak. 6-digit are better, but an actual password is best with TouchID being what you use to actually unlock the device 99% of the time.

Apr 29, 2016 9:32 PM in response to marthacfromnc

Did you receive emails from Apple telling you about the access to your account from a new web browser? That should have arrived before the others.

That is standard from Apple when your iCloud account is signed in to from a "new" place.

And it seems your iPad was placed into Lost Mode twice.

I don't see any reason to conclude they hacked your passcode and have physical access to your iPad. None of this requires access to your iPad. To be clear, these 3 emails came to you 17 days after the iPad went missing correct?

1st email - iPad was found at 8:07 pm at *address in Brooklyn, NY

2nd email - iPad was placed in Lost mode at 8:07

3rd email at 8:39 - Find my iPad has been disabled

Stolen iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.