Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't work despite all suggested fixes...

So all of a sudden I had this problem with Safari, it just stopped loading webpages.

I tried every possible fix suggested with no joy. Literally I'm on the Apple support page for 4 days in a row, reading every thread. Everything else working perfectly on my wifi, iphones, macs, everything so no problem with internet. Download speed is savage. I updated the OS X from Yosemite to El Capitan to see if it will improve but safari still doesn't work.

Is there any fix at all, or my Macbook Air as good ad trash? Very annoying that there is no option to delete and reinstall Safari on its own..I had faith in Apple for overt 10 years, but it is really coming to an end...

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:53 PM

16 replies

Apr 29, 2016 2:29 PM in response to Anniebloom

Hi...

Sorry you're having so may issues with Safari. The thing, is you don't tell us exactly what you have tried that didn't work, we have no way knowing so all we can do is troubleshoot.

When Safari won't load webpages, reinstalling Safari is rarely the fix.

You may have a Safari extension or third party plug-in installed that's causing a conflict. It's easy to troubleshoot.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. If there are any extensions installed, uninstall one at a time then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

If it's not a plug-in or extension issue, if you have anti virus software installed, that can prevent webpages from loading. So can net monitoring apps such as Little Snitch and Growl.

Always good to have a backup browser installed in case Safari is having problems.

Either Firefox or Chrome will work on El Capitan.

Apr 30, 2016 3:02 PM in response to Anniebloom

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

May 1, 2016 11:59 AM in response to Anniebloom

Please start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

May 1, 2016 12:12 PM in response to Linc Davis

After so many days of trying I think the problem is different, not safari. I shared my phone's Internet with my MacBook and also tried wifi in my work, and Safari worked just fine. Wasn't awfully fast but worked. When I go to my diagnostics it says I'm connected to the Internet /wifi and everything seems to work perfectly.

SO to me it looks like a router issue, but every other gadget works on it perfectly, my other Mac, phones, smart tv, everything... I'm totally clueless...

May 6, 2016 7:53 AM in response to Anniebloom

Anniebloom wrote:

So all of a sudden I had this problem with Safari, it just stopped loading webpages.

I tried every possible fix suggested with no joy. Literally I'm on the Apple support page for 4 days in a row, reading every thread. Everything else working perfectly on my wifi, iphones, macs, everything so no problem with internet. Download speed is savage. I updated the OS X from Yosemite to El Capitan to see if it will improve but safari still doesn't work.

Is there any fix at all, or my Macbook Air as good ad trash? Very annoying that there is no option to delete and reinstall Safari on its own..I had faith in Apple for overt 10 years, but it is really coming to an end...

Are you using top sites? check through all of them and remove any sites you don't want to be top sites - they refresh - and if you use a bookmark - to get to a site that is loading - its a struggle.

If you have bookmarked RSS sites -- they do refresh - also same for RSS through email.

You may want to review cookies to see what is loading,

Safari doesn't work despite all suggested fixes...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.