Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

immediately delete Junk in Mail

Is there a way to immediately delete emails that end up in my Junk folder?

Currently, in El Capitan Mail (v 9.3), I have only one Gmail account. Because of Gmail's great ability to tag spam, I turn off Mail's "Enable Junk Mail filtering" and just rely on Gmail. All good.

But when I want to empty the Junk folder, I highlight all, hit Delete, and then they go to the Trash folder, where I have to find them again, highlight them, and then delete them a second time.

Is there a method for just deleting these Junk emails just once?

Currently the way, I'm doing it is highlighting all Junk emails, tagging them with a purple flag, deleting them, opening up the Trash folder, sorting by Flag (which places all purple flagged emails together), highlighting the purple flag emails, then hitting delete.

Anyone know an easier way?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro • MBA 11"

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:10 PM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2016 5:43 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you, OT.

I think that option would delete all the emails in my Deleted Folder, which I definitely wouldn't want to do. I do have a Mail Rule that deletes all Deleted Folder emails older than 18 months, so it keeps it slim and tidy. But I do utilize deleted emails often from a few months back, so I wouldn't want to always be deleting everything. I just want to prevent having Spam/Junk emails in that Deleted folder.

immediately delete Junk in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.