Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Pro keep dropping wifi connection?

In the past few weeks, my wifi connection has often been dropping and I have to restart my MacBook Pro to have the wifi connection again.

I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch (late 2011) and am running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4

I brought my computer to a Genius Bar and had someone look at it. The guy helped me clean out my caches and adware which helped. He also helped me with trash existing Wifi preferences to start fresh.

My computer worked well after my visit to Genius Bar and now almost a day later my wifi connection dropped again and I had to restart my computer.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 2:51 PM

Might be corrupted network preferences.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Click Go then move all the files in the SystemConfiguration folder to the Trash.

Restart your Mac. See if that makes a difference.

Your Mac will generate a new SystemConfiguration folder for you.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 2:51 PM in response to jyh10001

Might be corrupted network preferences.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Click Go then move all the files in the SystemConfiguration folder to the Trash.

Restart your Mac. See if that makes a difference.

Your Mac will generate a new SystemConfiguration folder for you.

Apr 30, 2016 7:27 PM in response to jyh10001

Hold down the Option key while you click on the Wi-Fi icon on the MenuBar. a display like this will appear:

User uploaded file

what values to do get for PHY Mode and Channel?

What RSSI or signal strength?

What Transmit rate?

and very important, how many other networks do you see?

--------

Also note also the entry for Wireless Diagnostics, which will do an automated scan of all things Wi-Fi and give you some "best practices" advice, and invite you to continue to Monitor your connection just click ( Continue ) on this screen and leave the monitor open in the background).

User uploaded file

May 1, 2016 9:22 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Here is what I have:

PHY Mode: 802.11g

Channel: 8(2.4 GHz, 20 MHz)

RSSI: -51dBM

Transmit Rate: 54 Mbps

10 other networks

sorry i posted this later than I should have I feel frustrated my trip to Genius Bar did not fix my problem and I'm back at square 1.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem please let me know as soon as possible I'm sorry I keep posting. This problem really irritates me.

May 2, 2016 7:46 AM in response to jyh10001

You are using the very crowded and interference-prone 2.4GHz band. Rather than the standard channels, 1, 6, and 11, your Router is using channel 8. I do not know if it chose that channel "automatically" or if you had to intervene to set it to channel 8 manually. (In some very busy cases, using an in-between channel can improve a desperate situation.)

your RSSI of -51 less typical noise at about -85 gives a signal strength of about -34, very good signal strength. Using 802.11n, you have the capability for a base speed of about 54M Bits/sec, and the ability on a not-too-busy channel with an advanced Router to send two or three streams to double or triple the data rate. Your Transmit Rate of 54 shows that your Router is not attempting to double or triple, either because it can't get the additional data through, out because that Router is too old to have that capability (which requires multiple antennas).

10 competing networks are extremely likely to all be using the 2.4GHz band as well, so you are trying to shout over all of them. There are only three standard channels in this band, and moving to an in-between band means your signal collides with other on both sides, since each 802.11 channel sprawls up and down two additional channels. (e.g., channel 6 uses 4, 5 ,6,7, and 8)

You could benefit from a replacement new or added new Router, that has 5 GHz band capability, which would open up all the channels higher up, which are wider, less busy, and less subject to interference, but slightly harder to pick up. You already have very good signal strength, so moving to a higher band would not be a problem for you.

Your problems are caused by existing conditions and the Router you are using, not by settings or deficits in MacOS.

May 2, 2016 7:51 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Duane has a similar very busy 5GHz band,and he posted the graphic from WiFi Explorer, an inexpensive utility with a 3-day free trial. (I have no connection to that company.) His chart shows the collision of adjacent Routers' data and his manual compromise choice of an in-between channel very graphically. You can see how the edges of his strong signal (shown in orange) collide with the adjacent channels:

User uploaded file

(click to expand)

May 2, 2016 10:33 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your help I appreciate it! I had a feeling there was a problem with my router. My MacBook Pro worked fine at Genius Bar with no wifi drop.

I am looking into contacting my Internet Service Provider and talking to a customer service representative to hopefully fix this problem.

Also (for everyone to see), thank you all for your help I appreciate your answers! If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know!

I'm sorry to keep posting but for now until a customer service rep from my provider can help me, my wifi still drops unexpectedly and I have to restart.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get wifi back after it drops without having to restart? I tried Diagnostics/Assist Me and it didn't help me.

May 27, 2016 11:03 AM in response to jyh10001

Hi sorry to bother everyone here again I just want to let everyone know here again thank you for your help! I talked to some higher ups from Apple Support and it turns out it is my Internet Service Provider that is wrong not my MacBook Pro!

This being said, I was wondering if anyone could share suggestions on what Internet Service Providers they use or recommend? I currently use Frontier Internet Service (I'm from Connecticut) and I'm really hoping to change my Internet Service Provider as soon as I can! All answers would be appreciated!

May 27, 2016 11:48 AM in response to jyh10001

The Internet Service Providers available to you depend on who already has cables on your street, in most cases.

If you are within a mile or two of "downtown" (where the telephone Central Office [switching equipmenet] is located) you can get DSL service, provided by over unused spectrum on the copper phone lines running to your house. Its speed varies, often in at the range of 1 to 10 Megabit/sec or thereabouts.

Most Cable-TV operators can also provide Internet access, at somewhat faster speeds, and super fast speeds if you are willing to pay the premium for it.

Verizon installed Fiber-Optic FIOS service in some cities and towns, but does not appear to be building out much more, unless the regulatory climate changes even more in their favor.

Many third-parties re-sell the services of these cable operators, and it will take some digging in your locality to find out who the main players really are.

May 27, 2016 12:10 PM in response to jyh10001

You can also replace your Router with a Dual-Band Router you buy yourself. Another approach is to ADD a Router to your existing network:

User uploaded file

The Routers involved do not need to be all Apple Routers. Most will mix and match.

EDIT: There is a regulatory deadline of June 2 coming up, and retail availability of many Router products will be severely limited until this kerfuffle settles down.

Why does my MacBook Pro keep dropping wifi connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.