Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you change the background color behind characters in Pages

How do you change the color of the "paper" that the characters are on in Pages? I tried all kinds of things and I am sure, once explained, will be simple. But I do not know how to make the characters black and the background white. This was straight forward in Word. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 3:35 PM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2016 7:04 PM in response to MD_Gene

The only document background that Pages offers is white. You can provide, or remove paragraph background color as SGIII has shown, and there is a true highlight color hidden in the Advanced Options menu by the name of Character Fill Color. You get there with the gear icon at the end of the B, I, U buttons.

On a per document basis, you can game the document background color with a document scale shape comprised of a custom fill color. You then visit the Arrange menu : Section Masters : Move Objects to Section Master. That will make your document size shape — a background object on all section pages, and the text and other objects will be above it. Technically doable, but not practical.

LibreOffice will allow you to set the actual entire document background in its Preferences : Application Colors panel.

Apr 30, 2016 4:58 AM in response to SGIII

How do you change the color of the "paper" that the characters are on in Pages?

If it is the OP intention to change the paragraph block color behind the text (including the ability to remove that effect), then your solution will achieve that goal. Others have requested an ability to flood the entire document within its margins with a color, and were that possible, it would paint the entire document content including footnotes, and leave no white space on document breaks.

The Apple designers of Pages v5 have confused users with their functional name choices. The Insert menu : Highlight, which is an author color, not a true highlight. And hiding the true text highlighter in the Advanced Options menu as Character Fill Color has led many astray too. You can see the paragraph level coloration that the so-called, Background color provides in this duotone example. Notice how the page break leaves white space. This can be either desired, or undesired effect, depending on the OP's goal. The Background color control is adjacent to other paragraph block controls.

User uploaded file

In LibreOffice, I can change the document color and that will colorize the entire document body, except the paragraph blocks. One can change the paragraph blocks from opaque (white), to transparent, or any other color, including the document body color for a true monochromatic document look.

How do you change the background color behind characters in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.