Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to download safari extension for bitdefender

I have an iMac with el capitan and use both chrome and safari. I recently changed antivirus to bitdefender. It has extensions for chrome and safari. chrome ext installed fine, but the safari extension will not download. Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1). In fact the web has no button to download https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.BitDefender.TrafficLight-GUN FMW623Y. I have tried it both from bit defender.com.au and through apple- safari extensions. Accessing the right pages works fine, just no install button.

I also have MacBooks that have don't have this problem, both chrome and safari extensions are installed for bitdefender. I did notice that safari on them ends 17.4 not 17.1. However, my update shows I have latest version on iMac with 17.1.

Can anyone help?

VIN,iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 3:31 PM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2016 3:39 PM in response to wozza3193

You don't need anti-virus programs on your computer, so in my opinion, you should uninstall BitDefender. As there are no viruses currently circulating in the wild that can do any damage to OS X, anti-virus programs, at this time, are unnecessary. The majority of them, from what I and other contributors here have seen, negatively affect the performance of whatever system they're installed on. What's more, they don't protect you from what Mac users really need to worry about, which is malware and adware. Malware and adware are installed by you, unlike viruses, which install themselves. The most common way this happens is when you download something via torrent or from an aggregate download site, as many times those installers are bundled with the malware and adware. When you install one, you install all of it.

Please follow the directions from the developer's site to uninstall BitDefender.

unable to download safari extension for bitdefender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.