Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a method to restore iOS apps from one device to another iOS device after the app is removed the the iTunes store?

Recently a universal iOS app was deleted from my iPhone and removed from the App Store. I would like to copy the universal app from my iPad to iPhone.

Can anyone confirm that iOS 9 does not allow any possibility of recovering the app since iTunes no longer backs up iOS apps.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:23 AM

Apps won't copy back from an iOS 9 device due to a developer feature called 'app thinning' (which allows only what is needed by an app on a device to be downloaded onto that device, so the version that you have on your iPad might not work on a phone). You don't have the app already on your computer, or on your backup of your downloads/library, or on a device that isn't on iOS 9+ ?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 12:23 AM in response to brownujr

Apps won't copy back from an iOS 9 device due to a developer feature called 'app thinning' (which allows only what is needed by an app on a device to be downloaded onto that device, so the version that you have on your iPad might not work on a phone). You don't have the app already on your computer, or on your backup of your downloads/library, or on a device that isn't on iOS 9+ ?

Apr 30, 2016 12:08 PM in response to King_Penguin

Apple did not fully flesh out app thinning. They did not think of the possibility the app being removed from the store? I have a backup of my iPhone 5 with the app and may experiment restoring to my new iPhone 6 but I doubt will work.

The app is universal and I have used the same app on both iPhone and iPad since iOS 7. iTunes no longer transfer apps from devices and iOS app extraction utilities only extract data. if an app is removed from the iTunes store there is no way to restore the app?

I cannot believe iOS backup and restore has been implemented in this fashion. Guess it's time to switch to Android.

Is there a method to restore iOS apps from one device to another iOS device after the app is removed the the iTunes store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.