Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies/TV shows only in music

I have a bunch of movie files (various, including TV show episodes, bought movies and home movies) that only show up in the music list. Their "Media Kind" is listed as "Music", and I cannot change it to "Movies" or "TV Show". It only lists "Music", "Podcast", "iTunes U", "Audiobook", and "Voice Memo".

The files play fine, but they do not show up in their correct sections.

How do I get them back with properly assigned media kind?

(I did had a hard drive failure recently, and has to restore from a Time Machine backup, but I'm not sure that caused the issue. I think they already did not appear in their respective Movies or TV Show section before, but I didn't register what had happened.)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 6:24 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2016 3:32 PM in response to elgarak

Since the files are playing correctly, it's probably just an issue of corrupted metadata flags. Try this approach to test if it works...

Drag one of the affected files from iTunes to the Desktop. Drag the file over the QuickTime icon to launch it. In the File menu select Export and choose the format that seems appropriate.

Apr 30, 2016 4:44 PM in response to Rysz

This worked for my home movies... but obviously I am not allowed to export the iTunes store bought movies and TV shows unless I strip off the DRM...

Yeah, I figured the metadata is messed up. Usually, I can edit it within iTunes, but it doesn't give me the relevant options.

Re-downloading might work, but I wanted to know if there's any other way to avoid that.

Movies/TV shows only in music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.