Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced iOS updates. Please, give us 24hrs notice, at least!

I don't know if anyone from Apple actually monitors these communities, but just in case they do...

It would be marvelous if you guys would allow us to delay any forced iOS updates by at least 24hrs.

This would allow those of us on very limited, expensive, mobile-phone based data plans to get to a public library, or other free WiFi access point.
Rather than having our meager data allowance completely trashed for the month.

Surely that's not too much to ask?

Alternatively, to the Community at large...
Is there anyway of knowing when Apple is about to enforce an update, at least a day in advance?
If one was to know this, we could at least turn off the device until we can get to an alternative WiFi access point.

Thank You in advance.

iPad Mini, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 5:18 PM

The vast majority of us on this forum are all end users like you

Please send feedback, if desired, at http://www.apple.com/feedback

10 replies

Apr 29, 2016 5:16 PM in response to Xoreth

Apple does not force an update on anyone. If you chose to act on an iOS update notifications, that is a conscious decision on your part and requires deliberate actions on your part to install and complete the update. Nothing about actually completing any iOS or OS X update is forced on anyone. You can, if you choose to, completely ignore each and every update notification.

Apr 29, 2016 5:38 PM in response to ManSinha

Thank you!

Thank you for your feedback on the iPad.

We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the iPad Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving the iPad, we will contact you directly.

We appreciate your assistance in making the iPad great.

iPad Team
Apple

I don't expect any sort of response, or action whatsoever.
But at least I've had a vent 😉

Apr 29, 2016 6:50 PM in response to Xoreth

Xoreth wrote:

o_O

The updated iOS software is *pushed* to the device before any update notification is given.
The damage is already done.

As a 'Level 7', surely you are well aware of this?

I've never once exprerienced a pushed or forced update to iOS, so NO I have no idea what you're talking about. IOS updates are simply not forced updates and never have been. To install an iOS update requires deliberate and conscious actions on the part of the device owner. I don't think you understand how iOS updates work.

Apr 29, 2016 9:09 PM in response to deggie

Awesome! Thanks heaps 😀

Shall certainly be keeping an eye on both MacRumors and AppleInsider.

In the meantime, seems like the key is to *not* have the iThings on charger, overnight, with WiFi enabled - which is when the pushed updates seem to happen (as displayed in my logs), and as experienced by others.

Between Windows 10, Google Chrome, and Apple, I've been spending ridiculous amounts of time searching for and implementing hacks to stop the raping of my very limited data connection. I live in the bush, and have no other option for Internet connectivity, and not likely to anytime soon.
And, I need to run up to a dozen devices off a single tethered Wifi hotspot that almost never achieves 3G QoS.
Sorry for the sob story, but just wanted to add a bit of context. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Forced iOS updates. Please, give us 24hrs notice, at least!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.