Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Camera

In the interest of privacy and security, how can I check to see if my camera is collecting data? The obvious answer expected, is the green LED is illuminated. Other indicators or monitors would be more meaningful. Thx

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:32 AM

chromajeddapher wrote:

In the interest of privacy and security, how can I check to see if my camera is collecting data? The obvious answer expected, is the green LED is illuminated. Other indicators or monitors would be more meaningful. Thx

Unless you like doing things the hard way, the obvious answer is the appropriate one: OS X KnowledgeBase: Use the built-in camera.

If you want to go to more trouble, launch Mac's Activity Monitor utility and monitor the VDCAssistant process to see if it being used:

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.4

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 11:32 AM in response to chromajeddapher

chromajeddapher wrote:

Unless you like doing things the hard way, the obvious answer is the appropriate one: OS X KnowledgeBase: Use the built-in camera.

If you want to go to more trouble, launch Mac's Activity Monitor utility and monitor the VDCAssistant process to see if it being used:

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.4

MacBook Camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.