Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS broken / factory reset fixes / restore breaks again

iPhone 6

iOS 9.3.1

My GPS signal stopped working, but the hardware is not broken. Location services are turned on

I did a backup, a complete factory reset and wipe. With factory settings, I run apple maps and the GPS works flawlessly.

I restore the phone to the backup I did and the GPS breaks. Please note, when the GPS is broken it is broken across every single app. All apps have location services turned on. What could possibly be causing the break? Trouble shooting ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've exhausted my fairly good trouble shooting ideas.

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:41 PM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2016 1:09 PM in response to iPhotoStuff 2

Interestingly, mine broke on 4/29/16 also - assuming yours did. AT&T store installed a new Sim card (three times) and then the Apple Store ran diagnostice. Shows as a software problem. The said next step is wipe and restore as new phone. The girl said buying a new phone and restoring from backup that proble would likely come back with restore from backup. Which if I do wipe and restore from backup seems like same thing would occur- which sounds like what happened with you.

spinning wheels dead in water here. I don't want to wipe and lose text messages and then just have issue persist. If lots of people are experiencing this - seems like it's an infrastructure (software or hardware) issue with AT&T or Apple. Note that gps is busted in both Apple and goo maps...shows me at exactly the same (wrong) location...

ANy help appreciated...

Apr 30, 2016 1:15 PM in response to iPhotoStuff 2

As DirtRoad said above, restoring from backup will likely bring the issue back. The system is probably corrupted and if so a restore as new is about all you can do.

First import your photos to your computer and copy all important data. Then restore as New and reconfigure from scratch, a pain I know. For this reason it is important to have your photos and data saved separately from the backup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

GPS broken / factory reset fixes / restore breaks again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.