Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would like to remove all of my partitions

Hello friends, I'm hoping you can help me out today. I have had both windows and linux on my mac and would now like to remove all partitions associated with them.

One problem is that disk utility is not showing the partitions and the partition button is greyed out.

User uploaded file

When I go into the terminal and use "diskutil list" It only displays the linux partition while the windows one (70gb) does not display.

User uploaded file

I don't know what to try next but would like to remove all of my partitions so that I only have my mac drive (and I guess the recovery hd is okay too)

i've it helps to post the "sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0"

User uploaded file

osx: 10.11.4

Macbook pro 13 inch early 2011

Please let me know what you think!

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 5:48 PM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2016 6:02 PM in response to Fusionerr

If the partitions are simple data partitions and *not* bootable systems, there should be no issue. If you added Windows as Bootcamp and ReFIt for Linux, the untangling could be hazardous ... the easiest way is probably make a clone on external disk of the main-OSX and Recovery Partitions, then reformat and clone back.

If you want the bootable partitions removed without breaking the OSX partition, others in the Bootcamp forum are VERY good at unraveling such tangles and the thread can be relocated. Either way, get a backup of your full OSX partition before you start ANY operation.

Apr 29, 2016 7:03 PM in response to Fusionerr

Edit: Solved! Seems everything is working now, Thanks everyone for your help!

Thank you everyone for your input. here is a status update:

• I backed up all of my important files
  • I went into recovery mode and formatted linux partition which fixed disk utility
  • Bootcamp appeared again, and I combined the linux and bootcamp into a partition but I cannot delete the combined one into the main drive

User uploaded file

notice the - button is greyed out

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Thanks for all of the help so far, what do I do next?

Would like to remove all of my partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.