Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network connection

my wife and I both use relatively new iPad Minis and iPhones. She also use a MacBook. up until last week, we were all successfully using the Internet through my Mac (Telsra in Australia) on wifi through modem (built in router) - the modem is about 10 years old, all the other devices are relatively new. Now the connections are erratic, mostly afecting my wife's iPad and iPhone. More often than not she can't connect to wifi. We have tried everything We know to get the wifi connections working again, but only have occasional success and then sometimes only for a few minutes. Telstra are less than helpful. Desperate for suggestions as to what is causing the problem and what we can do to fix it.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:48 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2016 8:17 PM in response to ProfGold

I have some suggestions below BUT you may want to consider upgrading your router to the one of the latest versions on the market

Please perform the following actions and after each one test to see if the problem is resolved - if so then you can omit the following steps - I have tried to list them in order of increasing effort at least on a Mac and / or an iDevice

1. Check to see if the problem is isolated to one device and if other devices connect normally -
  2. If the answer to 1 is "yes" - try to connect the affected device in another location if possible - café or university
  3. Please see Apple's recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points
  4. Perform a forced restart - this does not delete or purge any data and troubleshoots many issues - here is how - Hold down the Off/On and Home buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow normal boot up.
  5. Settings - WiFi - <network name> - Click on forget the network - do a forced restart as per 3 and then add the network again
  6. If at home - reboot the router by unplugging for 60 seconds from the AC (mains) and then plug it back in - obviously this step cannot be done in a public place as a café/airport or university. While you are at it - make sure your router is operating on the latest firmware (check manufacturer site)
  7. Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings - remember to have WiFi passwords handy since this erases stored WiFi passwords
  8. If this is a net new device especially in your home - make sure the router is giving enough DNS numbers to accommodate everything that needs / wants a connection - stuff like the printer, Chromecast get overlooked - ask for details about this if not sure
  9. Backup the device to iTunes - Restore as NEW (not from backup) - see if problem resolves - if yes - restore backup
  10. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Apr 29, 2016 9:15 PM in response to ProfGold

Below are some general suggestions for Wi-Fi issues. Please try them in this order, they have helped many in the past.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

Network connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.