Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting Table of Contents in Pages on MacBook Pro 2013

I am trying to create a TOC. I followed the instructions on YouTube however when I insert my TOC, the page numbers are not in a separate column. I get one column with the content and the page numbers wrapped underneath. How can I fix it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 8:43 PM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2016 5:21 AM in response to D in PA

Earlier releases of Pages v5 on Mavericks were not without their issues. I no longer have a Mavericks install, or Pages v5.2 for testing. The following image is a fresh, unchanged ToC generation for the entire document using Pages v5.6.1 on El Capitan. See if this helps you. Most videos online for Pages are not for any release of Pages v5.

User uploaded file

When you select the Chapter level headings, a Text tab will appear in the right-hand side of Pages. If the Indents section is not expanded, click the bold word Indents. For the example above, The first and left indents are 0.17 in, and the right indent is 0 in. If your page numbers have wrapped, it means that you have increased either the First or Left indents, and you need to reduce these to bring the page numbers back on the same line as the headings.

To indent the sections without altering the page number locations, I select any Section, which selectes them all, and then I change only the First indent to 0.42 in in the following image:

User uploaded file

And if I wanted leader dots only for the Section headers, I could expand the Tabs section, and click on the vertical adjustment arrows under Leader, and pick the dotted line. Again, this does not change the alignment of the page numbers.

User uploaded file

Apr 30, 2016 3:10 PM in response to D in PA

You are stuck with Pages v5.2 on Mavericks, unless you decide to upgrade to El Capitan, where you can (presently) get Pages v5.6.1.

When Apple released OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), they updated Pages to v5.5, and it required Yosemite for installation. That blocked Mavericks users from upgrading their Pages applications without an operating system upgrade. That did not sit well with users. Pages v5.6 or later (presently) require Yosemite 10.10.4 or later. Apple only keeps the most recent release of the operating system, and Apple applications in the OS X App Store. Your Mavericks App Store may tell you that there are updates available, just not for you.

The age of easy to use, feature rich, compatible, and user requirements aligned, word processing software from Apple — is over. Third-party providers of word processing applications have pulled away from Apple, and that is where you should turn, and find vendor commitment to their products. There are several to choose — none that can open or read Pages v5 documents — and Microsoft Word for Mac document formats being those with the most portability with other applications, word processing features, and future compatibility.

Apr 30, 2016 3:08 PM in response to VikingOSX

If you lockdown the threads, you will find my thread about pages not printing. I use the newest Pages its El Cap and had to copy the whole document into Pages 9 to get TOC with page numbers printing. For your problem you should be able to move the tabs to get the look you want and then move them pack from the first page of the remainder of the document.

Formatting Table of Contents in Pages on MacBook Pro 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.