Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad intermittently plays music

ive read this before but can't find the cause. My iPad occasionally starts playing music. Launching Music app doesn't show the song playing so can't stop it there. If I slide my finger up from the bottom of the screen I get that mini menu (does this have a name?) and on the left I can see the song playing and can press the pause/stop button.

I'd love to stop this auto-play happening.

certan an apps seem to start it like when a video completes in StreamToMe, but there's no pref like: "Play music when videos complete" that I can turn off. Sometimes unplugging my earbuds might start it which can be embarrassing if in a quiet place.

i Can't think of any app I have tat is set to auto-play under certain conditions.

MY iPad always plays the first song from the first album listed in My Music in the Music app, but like I said, when this happens, Music doesn't show the song as playing. Weird.

BEing intermttent tent makes it impossible to see a pattern that initiates this issue other than StremToMe but not always when a video completes playing.

IM running Lois 9.3.1 but have experienced this in previous iOS versions, definitily iOS 8 maybe even 7.

Any ideas!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2013 model

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 11:32 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2016 12:10 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

I "May" have found a way to stop this, still don't know what initiates it.

IN Music there's Up Next feature which you get to from the menu icon in the lower right of Music's My Music & Playlist screens. There, if you see a list of your sons ready to "play next" try deleting the list. ill see if without a list if my iPad won't be able to randomly start playing my music.

Bug? Feature?

Apr 30, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

In my Reply above, I meant, "sons" should be "songs"

PROBLEM SOLVED: here's some feedback on the effect of deleteing our Music app's "Up Next" list: using the swipe up gesture I opened the iPad's bottom minI menu and on the left where I used to find either the top listed song playing from my Music app's Up Next list, or the next song ready to play, as I hoped this play feature now doesn't have any songs to list or play. Some had way made. But... I was watching a NetFlix movie, paused it, went to the mini-menu music player and see the the Netflix movie listed. And pushing play, the soundtrack plays. So I guess it could still start up at embarrassing quiet times. Ugh.

GOOD NEWS: I just paused and closed NetFlix and now the mini-menu Player just says: "NetFlix" without the movie title I was watching, and nothing happens when i pressed Play! No sound! No soundtrack, No music! SOLVED!

SUMMARY: How to stop your mini-menu music player from playing automatically:

• In your iPhone or iPad Music app, open it and delete your "Up Next" list of songs if any are listed.
  • Close Netflix or any apps that play audio: music, films or TV. I've only tested Netflix.

I Hope this is helpful. Of course if you limit the ability to play the Up Next list in your mini-menu player, you'll have to open your Music app, or other music playing app, and choose and play your tunes from there.

My iPad intermittently plays music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.