Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove custom playlist artwork? (at the TOP of the screen, in the banner)

I have read through various threads, and I could not find an answer to this simple question. This has eluded me since iTunes 12 came out...

How do I delete artwork from playlists at the TOP of the screen? Note:

I DON'T mean this:

User uploaded file

And I DON'T mean this:

User uploaded file

I mean THIS:

User uploaded file

I have looked everywhere, and I can't figure out how to do it. Delete, Backspace, right click, left click, nothing works! The only thing it lets you do is replace the artwork with something else (by left clicking on it). I don't want artwork on my playlists: custom, downloaded, anything. If you have artwork on your playlist, it changes the entire color scheme when viewing the playlist on your iPod/iPhone. No! Bad! I just want the plain white background!

If your songs have artwork but your playlist has no custom playlist art, the playlist art automatically becomes a mosaic of your songs' art. I know that. And deleting the artwork from the songs works to clear the playlist artwork too.

But what I'm trying to do is get rid of CUSTOM playlist artwork, the kind you select off your computer. All of your songs having no artwork doesn't get rid of the playlist art in this case.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the custom playlist art? Any help is appreciated!

iTunes 12.3.3.17-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2017 3:42 AM

To remove artwork from playlists (after I've added an image and regretted it) I create a new playlist (dragging in the same tracks/albums or , if a smart playlist, using with the same criteria) and delete the old playlist. The new one has default picture again

5 replies

May 4, 2016 11:12 AM in response to seraphicgate

Edit > Preferences > Use custom colours > Off works to avoid some of the effects in iTunes, but it might not carry over to a device. I haven't tested it.

I don't think it is possible to disable the custom playlist artwork itself. What you could try is setting a custom image that matches what you see if none of the tracks have artwork, although testing this just now the top bar of the playlist using the custom image is a shade darker.

User uploaded file

You could experiment with a paler version of the same image. or something all white, or fully transparent.

tt2

May 7, 2016 1:58 PM in response to turingtest2

My "Use custom colors" on iTunes is already switched off, so I guess that has no effect on iPods/iPhones.

...Sigh...of course Apple would somehow neglect to add a basic function (like deleting a picture) to a program already filled to the brim with useless features.

Adding that "No Art" pic or a blank white square seems to be the only solution right now, as you said. Either that, or recreate the playlist entirely by duplicating it. As long as the playlist is not connected to any others through smart playlists, duplicating is the best solution, but I have a lot of interconnected playlists, so in that case using a dummy picture like the one you provided would be the only option. Sigh....

When I buy songs from the iTunes store on my computer, I also noticed that some of them automatically download to my iPod, bringing their artwork with them. The only way to get rid of the art is to clear downloads off the iPod, and for the longest time I didn't even know how to do that.

Thanks for your suggestions!

How to remove custom playlist artwork? (at the TOP of the screen, in the banner)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.