Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad says storage is full but it doesn't add up

Hi all, my iPad whenever I go onto settings says that I have used 12.5 Gigabytes but when i add it up its nowhere near to 12.5 can anyone please give me a solution that doesn't involve factory reset (ipad 2nd gen)

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:39 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2016 11:06 AM in response to Rillatarcool

HI there Rillatarcool,

It sounds like you are getting a prompt that your storage is full but you have confirmed that it is not. It may be referring to your iCloud storage, in which case I would take a look at this article named:

Manage your iCloud storage

If this is not the issue, I would quit all the running apps on your phone:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that force restart the device with the Home and the Sleep/Wake buttons and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

I know you don't want to have to, but If the issue persists, the next thing I would have to recommend is to backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it reports correctly.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

May 1, 2016 11:14 AM in response to Rillatarcool

You likely have a corrupted system or app and may have to do a Restore (different than a factory reset) to resolve.

System Restore. First backup your device using iTunes. Then import your photos to your computer and copy all important data. Try restoring from backup first and testing it. A restore from backup should not result in data loss. If it does not help, you may have to restore as New and reconfigure from scratch as the backup could be corrupted. For this reason it is important to have your photos and data saved separately from the backup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

My iPad says storage is full but it doesn't add up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.