Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your movie will be ready to watch in 9 hours and 43 minutes.

I thought with the advent of the new Apple TV that this issue would be resolved or taken more seriously. Maybe with the rumors they're going to be creating ther own servers for the cloud it will but at the same time every other streaming company seems to be able to operate this basic requirement without issues: I so often can't watch what I have purchased when I want to. Last night for example, I went to watch a tv episode and was met with a wait time of 9 hours and 43 mins. Yes it does improve but only after having started watching something else in Hulu or Netflix or the like and normally when I'm half way through watching. This issue also extends to trailers. Sometimes trailers take as long as the trailer to start playing and yet in YouTube it will start instantly. Why? It's infuriating.

It is especially frustrating due to it being content that you own. Is there a fix to this? other than submitting feedback is there a way to get this issue taken as a greater priority? I'm sure it is but come on.

Apple TV, iOS 8.4

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 4:05 AM

What version ATV, what software?

What is your internet connection speed?

How is ATV connected to network?

It is widely reported that iTunes always transmits movies in full 1080p. Other services, particularly Netflix, use lower resolution when they detect a slower data rate. See Get help playing or streaming content on your Apple TV - Apple Support for more info.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 4:05 AM in response to Antonio Spinozzi1

What version ATV, what software?

What is your internet connection speed?

How is ATV connected to network?

It is widely reported that iTunes always transmits movies in full 1080p. Other services, particularly Netflix, use lower resolution when they detect a slower data rate. See Get help playing or streaming content on your Apple TV - Apple Support for more info.

Apr 30, 2016 5:15 AM in response to Diana.McCall

HI Diana and thanks for the reply.

It's the new Apple TV running the latest TVOS. My internet speed is about 17Mbps. It's connected via WiFi. All else are also transmitting in 1080p. Netflix you can check for sure as they have a programme (can't remember what it is called off the top of my head) which shows the bitrate and it is 1080p. I could appreciate a buffer for the 1080 to load and recognize that on other apps it may start streaming in lower res for a few seconds before increasing to 1080. However in no ridiculous instances does it ever take 9 hours to load anything. I have often seen figures of 14 hours too. I have always had this problem with the iTunes Store. On this ATV, the third and second gen. And in those instances I was able to have them wired up via ethernet. My current environment doesn't allow this.

Apr 30, 2016 6:40 AM in response to Antonio Spinozzi1

You WiFi speed should not be a limiting factor, unless the network is very busy with other streams, gamers, etc. Internet speed also.

Can you do a traceroute to the iTunes server? Not sure if you can tell the name or IP of the server. But if you can, you may find that you're in a particularly bad location relative to the server. The other services may be better located, using distributed servers, or whatever.

You should check the ATV WiFi settings to be sure it is on your network, and using Automatic for IP and DNS. A funky DNS could cause this by giving you an inappropriate address for the server. I assume you're using a simple network configuration, with a single WiFi router directly connected to the internet connection (modem). If you can use a 5 GHz WiFi network (802.11ac) it would eliminate any doubt about WiFi.

Apr 30, 2016 6:41 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Firstly I can confirm that it is already on a 5 GHz network, that at the time of use it is the only thing operating on the Internet in this household on a simple configuration and it is connected to the right wifi network.

What interests me is this traceroute. What exactly is that and how can I do it? Would I then be able to do that with other apps for comparative reasons?

Thanking you.

Apr 30, 2016 8:18 AM in response to Antonio Spinozzi1

Traceroute is a common computer command, often spelled tracerte, that reports the routers along a given internet route. There are also iOS apps. I use Net Analyzer, which has a nice interface. The hard thing for your movie streams may be knowing the name or IP address of the server, since it may not be visible. Yes, you could compare routes for different apps, if you can get their server addresses. Just note that, if you use it, some routers will time out without reporting. That just means that they don't respond to these messages, and is not a problem.

Just to confirm, are the ATV IP and DNS set to automatic? It doesn't sound like you should have any WiFi or internet problems.

In your first post, you mentioned that watching Netflix seems to help this situation. It may just be that, with data flowing, ATV gets a better estimate of your connection speed. Do your downloads actually take 9 hours, or is this just an overestimate? Or do you feel that viewing another program actually speeds up the movie download?

Apr 30, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Interesting information which I shall look into, so thanks for that.

I had to just double check about the IP and DNS as I didn't know, which would of course imply nothing has been fiddled but one never knows. They are indeed both set to automatic.

So more often than not I am able to view content from iTunes without issue. But there'll probably be one or two nights out of seven where it becomes a stubborn mule. Last night for example and always when I really want to watch something in particular. So perhaps it has nothing to do with tech and is just some mischievous gremlin; a simpler explanation.

When you start up content in itunes it will hang and then display the message of doom. Sometimes and this is rare, it will quickly speed up and start playing. Other times the duration it predicts becomes days I am sure I have seen 90 odd hours before. So obviously I am not going to wait so I will go into another app, whichever tickles my fancy and without fail that will start immediately. Last night as an example, I was half hour into watching something on HBO when the program was paused with a message to alert me that the programme I had wanted to watch in iTunes was now ready. I made the decision to switch to that and within two mins it paused and started buffering. I had to go back to my other HBO programme and complete that before the buffer was large and safe enough to watch the original choice viewing.

On a bad evening, I just won't be able to watch anything in iTunes whatsoever.

Also, this has always happened with Apple Trailers when in HD. They 9/10 will never even start. Sometimes they will be fully loaded in the status bar but won't actually start playing.

If I do ever experience any issues in other apps, it will either be an app issue which is then updated, or an Internet issue where everything isn't working. It frustrates me so much as my movie and tv collection that I have spent a lot of money on is all in the cloud and if I have working equipment and an Internet signal, I should be able to access that content without issue.

May 2, 2016 8:40 AM in response to Antonio Spinozzi1

Antonio Spinozzi1 wrote:

There's a common denominator there.

Well yes there it but it's your domicile. I pull a great deal of content from Apple. It all comes from Akamai (which does get geographic hints from DNS queries) and will reliably use over 20Mbps of ~60 available. Movies are usually ready to watch immediately or with a delay of a few seconds. I.e. Akamai has no trouble delivering content in general.

So now you have to find out why you're having trouble with the content distribution network (CDN). Your original post mentions iOS8.4. That's an AppleTV3 version. Are you up to date on the devices you're using? What DNS servers are you using? Who's your ISP? Where are you located? What speed is SPEEDTEST reporting?

May 2, 2016 9:22 AM in response to bodosom

Thanks for your further reply.

I don't know why my signature is displaying the Apple TV as iOS, as it isn't that way in my settings, so please ignore. The ATV4 which I am using does indeed have the latest TVOS update installed. DNS is set to automatic so it is whatever my ISP has it as. The ISP is Sky Broadband in the UK. Speedtest for example right now is reporting: Ping 35 ms; download 13.15Mbps; upload 0.79Mbps

May 2, 2016 9:58 AM in response to Antonio Spinozzi1

Living in the US I have no experience with UK service but the fundamentals remain. If you control everything else and iTunes content is slower than equivalent systems you're having trouble talking to the CDN. It may take some time to sort that out. Note that in the US the network characteristics of iTunes is quite different from Netflix so they may not be comparable.

Is 13/.8 the speed you're buying? Those number are fairly asymmetric so you need to be sure your uplink is idle when you're testing download performance with actual content (e.g watching a movie).

PS you've marked this problem as solved but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Your movie will be ready to watch in 9 hours and 43 minutes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.