Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beeping noise and black screen on startup of MacBook Pro

My MacBook Pro has been knocked/bumped and now when I try to start it up it has a black screen and makes a repetitive beeping noise. It sounds like the noise you get when you call someone and their phone is engaged (in the UK), like beep...beep...beep. I think the RAM is damaged but I'm not sure, and if it is that or something else, is there anything I can try before I take it to be fixed? Is it even fixable? Will I lose my files?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:19 AM

1 reply

May 1, 2016 10:47 AM in response to Catey Cate

Howdy Catey Cate,

It sounds like your Mac is just beeping at regular intervals when you turn it on. That does seem to indicate a RAM issue per the following article:

About Mac computer startup tones

1 tone, repeating every 5 seconds: This indicates no RAM is installed.

The RAM may have become unseated when it got bumped. Check out page 43 of the user guide to se about taking off the back panel and reseating the RAM:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1601/en_US/macbook_pro_13inch_late _2011.pdf

That should get things in working order again. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Beeping noise and black screen on startup of MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.