Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant - new macbook - what I need to know?

Hi - I would value some experience from the community - please

I have a 2011 MacAir & want to now update to a new MacBook.

I have not updated sooner as concerned about the migration & possible loss of setting, apps or features etc post the update.

Can anyone with experience share anything I need to be aware of?

Such as...

1/ Does the Migration assistant transfer everything? - such as computer name & all setting, configurations, power setting & passwords etc & Apps?

(eg - after migration - would my new macbook be and 'exact' copy & behave exactly like my old mac - (all keyboard shortcuts / icons / tool bars etc - all is the place I expect)

2/ What about Apps such as Onedrive/ Office365/ Dropbox - will these work (i.e. will I have sync problems - with computer duplicated)

3/ What about APPS - where these are licensed - such as Abobe / MSOffice etc - will these transfer & all work - how does s/w license move? (or does the migration take care of this - and remove from old laptop)

I look forward to any advice,

Thanks -/T

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:31 AM

Move your content to a new Mac

5 replies

Apr 30, 2016 1:34 PM in response to clever_trevor

After migrating to the new computer all your configurations, applications, documents, etc will be moved to the new computer. The only gotcha involves programs that require activation or serial numbers. Any program that requires activation (Adobe CS and Microsoft Office for example) need to be deactivated on the old computer. I generally deactivate everything, including iTunes, on the old computer before migrating. It is easy to forget and annoying if you do forget and then wipe the drive so you can sell it. Also some programs that have serial numbers will require that you re-enter them on the newly migrated computer.

Apr 30, 2016 1:47 PM in response to dwb

HI - many thanks - this is great help - i knew it would be too good to be true to migrate & then just reboot & find everthing there & working just like the old laptop but better & faster. And great advice about iTunes as i need to deactivate on old laptop then assume 'activate' on new as seems migration would not take care of that. Plus I guess small things like wifi itunes synch would need re-setup. Also I assume same for Imessage, etc etc.

So with everthing cloud based - begs question of whether is better to setup new & synch files - as migration assistance could cause some problems wth 2 laptops with so e name etc.

migration assistant - new macbook - what I need to know?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.