Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud preferences want to make changes to your account

After I have keyed in my user ID and password in iCloud Preference Pane, another message screen popped up as shown. I have no clue what password it was asking for as I have tried the same iCloud password or other passwords I know of but they all failed.

Any advice on how to resolve the above issue?

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 3:19 AM

25 replies

Jan 6, 2017 8:04 AM in response to DeezNutz

Apple removed my last post. I am including three documents - make your own conclusion. Apple is censoring my conclusion.

I created a fake Apple ID in an effort to log into my mail and contacts WITHOUT logging into other accounts.

This is my keychain before:

User uploaded file

This is my keychain after I logged into my NEW email and contacts for the first time ever.

User uploaded file

My opinion was censored - hopefully yours will not be.

Jan 30, 2017 3:09 AM in response to AkPaparazzi

Open face time via spotlight , take cursor on top menu bar , click on face time > face time preferences a window appears click on sign out .

User uploaded file

For I messages , type messages in the spotlight , take cursor on top menu bar click on messages , again click on log out .

For game centre , open system preferences > internet accounts > click on add other accounts , now game centre is visible , type your Apple ID & password in the empty field , you are signed in the game centre .

To sign out from game centre , again take the cursor on top menu bar , click on log out .

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2017 11:40 AM in response to newmacuser2013

This pop up means it is trying to request more privileges than you think you are giving.

For example, I entered my computer password on that prompt and now it is asking for my iPhone password. It is asking so that it can suck every internet password off of my iPhone and give it to Apple. Trust me, after celebrities had their nude photos leaked on iCloud I make sure not allow any passwords or photos to go to Apple.

User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2017 2:29 AM in response to newmacuser2013

I know this is an old thread, but I had this problem when I replaced my Mac hard drive and reinstalled Yosemite. I finally found a solution that worked for me. If after following the suggestions by others in this thread you are still having this problem, do the following.

1. Click "cancel" on the "enter password" message and let iCloud remove finish removing your account.
  2. Go to Keychain Access (Spotlight search is the quickest way to find it)
  3. Right-click on the "login" keychain, and delete the keychain.
  4. Log out of your computer, then log back in.
  5. Set up your iCloud account again. For me, it worked this time and I did not receive a message to type my password at all.

Jan 7, 2017 6:00 AM in response to newmacuser2013

Before following the steps make sure you have four digit I cloud verification code , all web mail , I cloud id , Apple ID & their password respectively and wireless network password in your records .

Click on go to go folder & type ~/Library go to folder keychains & select ( can use command + A ) alfa numeric folder , loginkeychain -db , meta data .keychain -db & delete ( command + delete ) to the trash . Restart & empty the trash .

A pop - up appears on the desktop this Mac can’t connect to I cloud because of a problem with ……web mail is written open I cloud preferences to fix this problem

( a ) later ( b ) I cloud preferences , so click on I cloud preferences .

Go to system preferences click on google mail , contacts & 3 more it prompts to enter web mail password , click on next .

Then click on I cloud , I cloud drive & 8 more on the right side check the box of key chain , an pop -up appears enter your Apple ID password & set up I cloud keychain .

Password ….required enter the password in the empty field ( a ) cancel ( b ) ok , click on ok

An pop up appears to set up I cloud keychain on this Mac request approval from one of your other devices using I cloud keychain .if no other devices are available , use I cloud security code ( a ) use code ( b ) cancel ( c ) request approval so , click on use code .

Enter your four digit I cloud security code & click on next enter the verification code ( 6 numbered ) sent to the mobile .

Open airport utility via spotlight & click on base station & enter the wireless network password

( a ) remember this password in my keychain ( cancel , ok) so click on ok .

Open safari & set the home page once again .

Note : We have emptied all contents of keychain into the trash , as keychain was corrupted restarted the system & emptied the trash , & various pop - up appears and even after entering the passwords , the pop - up never goes away .So follow the above steps and the pop will vanish , but in the method I CLOUD FOUR DIGIT VERIFICATION CODE HAS A MAJOR ROLE .

Jan 8, 2017 9:57 AM in response to tygb

tygb I agree with your above, detailed fix for the original question. Thank you for posting this, I think it will help many.

Do you know of a way to stop the Apple ID from logging into FaceTime, iMessage and most importantly Game Center without permission? Also, any chance we can stop com.apple login over-righting settings, preferances and other annoying presumptive state forced over-rides?

I have multiple devices and I want to use my Apple ID. I only want to share a couple of basic functions and programs. I do not want to be forced to be logged into the above mentioned.

The iMessage changes my contacts and email addresses to old contacts that I want to purge forever. iMessage also stores phone numbers I have called and other information I don't want stored. The FaceTime messes with my contacts list and is constantly taking over and switching my phone defaults to FaceTime - I don't want to use FaceTime EVER. The Game Center logs in automatically and looks for players close by and shares my information without my permission. I don't want to play games - I want to use my computer the way I want it to be used.

Finally, should you need to log out of your Apple ID for any reason, logging out and back into Apple ID takes over completely. As a result, your Apple ID now logs you into every setting - cloud - program Apple provides. Private documents and photos start uploading to the cloud calendars and reminders are deleted and removed from your computer. So extremely frustrating to not have control of a privately owned device that you purchased in good faith.

I am desperately looking for someone to answer this question.

Thank you for your help.

Jan 8, 2017 10:09 AM in response to newmacuser2013

newmacuser2013 I do not use this feature so you may want to hold out for a, more qualified, answer. But it looks like you have set up a Home and/or Family network that shares your Apple ID. It looks like it is requesting you to log into this network so your Apple ID can make changes. If you don't remember the ID and Password you created - try your current Apple ID and password. Hope that helps.

Feb 1, 2017 7:47 AM in response to newmacuser2013

I just encountered this same issue in El Capitan—I entered in my user account password (the password you enter to log into your machine) and was shown an error that it was incorrect. I verified that wasn't the case by logging out of my computer and logging back in with that same password and, no, I didn't enter it incorrectly at the iCloud preferences prompt. What ended up working for me was going to my user account and creating a new user account password:

System Preferences->Users & Groups->your_user->Change Password

Once I did that, the iCloud preferences prompt took my new password and I was able to use my iCloud account on my Mac. I suspect it was a keychain corruption issue, as others have speculated.

Aug 18, 2017 4:52 PM in response to Eric Root

rubbish .... they offer a different ID and ask for a password that is not responsive to the original and always apple password ..... WHO finds this helpful ....

how is it possible to create such a rat-race for this iCloud thing .... really angering after an hour and NO SOLUTION ....

if iCloud preferences wants to make changes, then it should identify the ACCOUNT .... which it does not, in my case as with the originator of this thread, it was changed and I do not recognize, use or have a password associated with that grayed out id .... and the original one does not work ..... so it's a mess

NOT HELPFUL at all ......

iCloud preferences want to make changes to your account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.