Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to extend my wifi to another part of the house with an Airport Extreme. But I want it not connected to main modem by ethernet cable is this possible?

I want to extend my wifi to another part of the house with an Airport Extreme. But I want it not connected to main modem by ethernet cable is this possible?

I have set it up already to extend wifi from my modem still connected to the modem by ethernet cable.

Now I want to take it upstairs and use it to extend the wifi Without the ethernet cable

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:47 AM

The AirPort Extreme can only wirelessly extend the signal from another Apple router, so if you want to take the AirPort Extreme upstairs and have it wirelessly extend the signal, you will need another AirPort router connected to your modem by Ethernet cable to produce the wireless signal that the upstairs Extreme will extend.

Another way to say the same thing would be to state that if you want to wirelessly extend using an Apple router, you will need two of them to do it......since the AirPort Extreme would not be compatible with a third party modem or modem/router for this purpose.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 5:47 AM in response to GraphoPD

The AirPort Extreme can only wirelessly extend the signal from another Apple router, so if you want to take the AirPort Extreme upstairs and have it wirelessly extend the signal, you will need another AirPort router connected to your modem by Ethernet cable to produce the wireless signal that the upstairs Extreme will extend.

Another way to say the same thing would be to state that if you want to wirelessly extend using an Apple router, you will need two of them to do it......since the AirPort Extreme would not be compatible with a third party modem or modem/router for this purpose.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.