Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2011 Mac Mini iTunes HDCP error.

Hi

I have a Mid 2011 Mac Mini 16GB of ram and 1TB SSD running El Capitan 10.11.4 with iTunes 12.3.3 the mac is running through a Sony Bravia KDL-50W700A. I have up until recently been able to play content I have purchased with not problems. Now I am unable to play the content I have purchased be it newly purchased or previously. I had an idea this may be related to copyright protection so attempted to play one of the tv shows in Quicktime and received the below error.

This movie cannot be played because it is on a display that is not authorised to play protected movies. Try moving this window to a different display or disconnecting any displays that are not HDCP authorised.

I can confirm according to Sonys website that my tv is HDCP compliant. As I am able to watch Netflix on my mac through the tv except if I'm using Safari. I have performed the below troubleshooting.

Attempted multiple purchased content.

Unplugged the HDMI cable which is gold plated Sony and powered off both the Mac Mini and the tv. Then plugged back in and powered up

Altered the display resolution

Checked for updates on both devices

Content worked fine when played on Apple tv and iPhone and iPad and iPod I have not tried my MacBook Pro retina as yet.

I can understand mostly that copyright holders want to be paid for their stuff but perhaps instead of overpaying actors and musicians they should try and assist the very people that pay for the content. As these kind of issues make it harder for people to want to pay and use their stuff legally.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:46 AM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2016 9:03 AM in response to StarLord78

Try another HDMI port on the computer.

Try another cable.

You can also try:

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

May 1, 2016 4:55 AM in response to lllaass

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Did most of those last night then a complete fresh reinstall today. I attempted to view purchased content with the clean build. Still same issue then reinstall again and restore from time capsule. Still same issue. I noticed that this may have occurred after the last update for iTunes. Overall the performance of El Capitan on older machine and newer machines seems to be quite poor. Lots of beach balls. Anyone else experiencing this issue.

Mid 2011 Mac Mini iTunes HDCP error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.