Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to save messages but delete them off the iPhone?

Hi, I have an iPhone5. Recently I've been texting a lot and realised it takes up a heap load of my memory (so far about 2.5GB in just a few months). At this rate I'm going to fill the 5GB left.... I have used SMS but mostly iMessages. I was thinking of deleting them directly off the phone but some conversations I want to keep... so I was wondering if there's a way to store messages but delete them off the phone? Atm the version is 9.0.2.
I do also own a MacbookPro and my messages seem to be syncing to the Macbook and I've heard you can delete off phone and it'll store in the Macbook still. I haven't tried it yet in case it doesn't actually save..

Just making sure, is there a way to save the dialogue as is but just off the phone so it doesn't use up all my memory?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:47 AM

click the photo in the sms, choose save image

connect to mac and import photos to photos app on mac

delete message with photo, photo stays on your mac

5 replies

Is there a way to save messages but delete them off the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.