Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for cell to show decimal portion of quotient.

Simple sheet to track golf rounds. Dividing total holes by 18 to show a round. A 9 hole round shows 0. I can't get it to to show as 0.5?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:37 AM

5 replies

May 1, 2016 4:36 PM in response to Rwlapplesupport

If you are using the QUOTIENT function, that is the expected result. From the Formulas and Functions User Guide:

QUOTIENT

The QUOTIENT function returns the integer quotient of two numbers. QUOTIENT(dividend, divisor)

• dividend: A number to be divided by another number. dividend is a number value.

• divisor: A number to divide into another number. divisor is a number value. If 0, a

division by zero will result and the function will return an error.

Usage Notes

• If either, but not both, the dividend or divisor is negative, the result will be negative. If the sign of both the dividend and the divisor is the same, the result will be positive.

• Only the whole part of the quotient is returned. The fractional part (or remainder) is ignored.

(My underline, for emphasis).

If you just want to divide two numbers, use the divide operator: /

Apr 30, 2016 10:16 AM in response to Rwlapplesupport

My first thought (after QUOTIENT) was that you would be using =B2/18, but your result column was too narrow to display 0.5. In Numbers '09 (and several other spreadsheet applications) a cell set to 'automatic' will display a rounded (or truncated) result showing only as many decimal places as can fit in the cell.

With Numbers 3, this does not appear to apply. The 'full' result is displayed, with only as much of the last visible digit showing as will fit within the cell boundary.

Try formatting the result cell(s) as Number, 1 decimal place.

Regards,

Barry

Looking for cell to show decimal portion of quotient.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.