Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Pioneer VXS-921-k receiver doesn’t connect with my Apple TV 4

I just bought a Apple TV 4 and wanted to connect it to my system of Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090H and my receiver Pioneer VXS-921-k (from 2011).

For some reason it did not work to pass the signal from the ATV4 through the receiver to the TV (it turned of after 10-30 seconds). So I tried to connect directly to the TV via HDM1. 3 positive things appeared.

1. The ATV4 worked (I could see on my TV)

2. The TV and the Receiver turned on just by starting the ATV4 (never happened before)

3. When I turn up or down the volume button on ATV4 remote I see that the Receivers volume indication goes up and down

So this is the route I want to go rather than pass the receiver.

BUT: I got no volume from the receiver into the speakers!

There must be some kind of connection to the receiver since the ATV remote can start the receiver and turn up and down the volume. But how do I get the sound to the speakers?

I have a lot of other devices connected to the receiver and it all works well. The ATV4 vas the first device that did not work as it should when I connected it through the receiver. Well it kind of did if I turned of everything first and than started the ATV4 and then the TV and receiver stared. But if i changed anything on the receiver (looking at the satellite for a while) it was not possible to turn back unless everything was restarted.

I have tried several different HDMI cables (but they are all a few years old) and I have tried to set the ATV4 on specifik sound and TV settings (such as Dolby digital and 1080p/50 and RGB) instead of auto. I have also the newest software on the ATV4 and on the receiver software.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 5:10 AM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2016 12:51 PM in response to KenMac Sweden

Start by doing the following:

Hook ATV to input on reciever

Check setting on reciever to verify it is set to amp:

HDMI (HDMI Audio)

Specifies the routing of the HDMI audio signal out of this receiver (AMP) or through to a TV (THRU). When THRU is selected, no sound is output from this receiver.

See page 35 reciever manual

Next turn off all ATV HDMI contol settings for now:

Note the setting will be labeled home audio control not turn on or off as in instructions. Turn both to off.

http://help.apple.com/appletv/#/atvbbe2477c9

Report the results. We will figure this out...

May 2, 2016 12:26 PM in response to Vinceassociate

Thanks!

What do you mean by "turning of all the ATV HDMI control settings"? I cant find any "off” alternatives on the ATV4.

Anyway, I found a solution (or two)

Option 1:

ATV ->hdmi-> Receiver -> Hdmi -> TV (works, but not as reliable)

When I switched to high speed cables (that was the trick) on ATV -> Receiver -> TV the signal went through.

I thought the problems was solved - but problems popped back up anyway

Minus:

- Restarting the units just by using the ATV4 remote did not work (or worked occasionally)

- The signal was lost every once in a while (especially on start up).

Option 2

ATV -> hdmi-> TV -> optical-> Receiver (better but sound level is lower)

This is the option I preferred. According to Pioneer support in Sweden this was the only way to get the sound signal from the TV to the receiver.

+ works excellent when it comes to turning on and off the all units with just using one remote (ATV4) Great! Works every time

- the sound level is much lower than the option without optical cable (above). The sound quality might be worse (than the first option) - but I’m not sure (couldbe imaginary since I need higher volume to get the same volume as the devices that goes through the receiver).

Option 1 was far more frustrating so I stick with option 2 (despite the lower volume).

Is there another way (than option 1) to get the signal from the ATV to the Receiver all the way by HDMI? HDMI:splitter?

May 2, 2016 2:23 PM in response to KenMac Sweden

HDMI control on the ATV4 is under Remotes and Devices, Home Theater Control - Control TV and Receivers. Turning it to off will prevent the ATV from sending control signals to power on or control other devices such as your TV and receiver. I suggested this because your original problem was stated as "it turned off".

Your TV and receiver have HDMI control (as you have witnessed). Getting the signal through the system reliably should be the first order of business so turning this off for now takes any conflicts between the ATV 4, TV and receiver out of the issue.

In any case, I suggest you study your TV manual starting on page 66 and make sure you have properly activated and configured your HDMI terminals including selecting the audio format.

Next, carefully read and study chapter 13 which explains HDMI control.

Finally read carefully page 93 and note the setup diagram and process of connecting devices. Note the optical cable from the TV back to the receiver.

My Pioneer VXS-921-k receiver doesn’t connect with my Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.