Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Pioneer VXS-921-k receiver doesn’t connect with my Apple TV 4

I just bought a Apple TV 4 and wanted to connect it to my system of Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090H and my receiver Pioneer VXS-921-k (from 2011).

For some reason it did not work to pass the signal from the ATV4 through the receiver to the TV (it turned of after 10-30 seconds). So I tried to connect directly to the TV via HDM1. 3 positive things appeared.

1. The ATV4 worked (I could see on my TV)

2. The TV and the Receiver turned on just by starting the ATV4 (never happened before)

3. When I turn up or down the volume button on ATV4 remote I see that the Receivers volume indication goes up and down

BUT: I got no volume from the receiver into the speakers!

There must be some kind of connection to the receiver since the ATV remote can start the receiver and turn up and down the volume. But how do I get the sound to the speakers?

I have a lot of other devices connected to the receiver and it all works well. The ATV4 vas the first device that did not work as it should when I connected it through the receiver. Well it kind of did if I turned of everything first and than started the ATV4 and then the TV and receiver stared. But if i changed anything on the receiver (looking at the satellite for a while) it was not possible to turn back unless everything was restarted.

I have tried several different HDMI cables (but they are all a few years old) and I have tried to set the ATV4 on specifik sound and TV settings (such as Dolby digital and 1080p/50 and RGB) instead of auto. I have also the newest software on the ATV4 and on the receiver software.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:28 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2016 6:46 AM in response to KenMac Sweden

First, your TV is controlling the receiver over HDMI-CEC, through the receiver's HDMI connection to the TV. Your sound output will depend on which receiver input is selected. If you have an audio input from the TV, that might work. That's how I use mine, because of insufficient HDMI inputs on the AVR.

It would be better to connect ATV to the receiver using HDMI. Your cables should be marked "High Speed" to ensure they're up to the correct spec.

When you connected through the receiver, what turned off after 30 seconds? The normal way of doing this would be to turn receiver and TV on, then turn on ATV. The HDMI-CEC magic you describe is nice if it works the way you want, but every manufacturer does it differently, so it can be tricky.

The ATV needs to see a safe custody chain for its video, so the receiver needs to be on the correct input, and the TV should be on and connected to the receiver's HDMI output. If you change the receiver or TV input, the ATV may quit. I've also noticed a glitch if I switch the TV input away from ATV and back; hitting ATV Home button brings it back.

Once you've got it working, Best Available may be the best setting for audio output, since it can negotiate this with the AVR. Not sure about video.

Apr 30, 2016 7:31 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana Asked:

When you connected through the receiver, what turned off after 30 seconds?

Thanks for your advice Diana!

When the ATV4 is connected by HDMI to the Receiver, the receiver accept the signal for 10-30 seconds (saying "DVR" if Im using the DVR input) but after a while the receiver stops recognizing the signal and turned back to TV again (sometimes it flashes back and forth). This is frustrating. Sometimes it works (and stay correct) if I start by starting the ATV before the receiver and the TV. But if I turn to any other HDMI inputs on the Receiver and turn back to DVR, the Receiver refuses to recognize the signal from the ATV4. None of my other devices behave this way (the receiver accept all the other devices and I can switch between them without any problems).

But as I wrote, I saw a few advantages by leading the signal from ATV -> TV -> Receiver (instead ATV -> Receiver -> TV). The receiver recognizes the signal (I don't know how) but I can't get any sound (even though my receiver is responding the volume indicator on the display) but no real volume.

Apr 30, 2016 10:01 AM in response to KenMac Sweden

The receiver stops recognizing the ATV signal because ATV stops sending it. It stops because it does not detect a TV at the other end, and cannot be sure that its data would be transmitted over a secure connection. Search the web for HDCP for more. When you turn to another input and back to ATV, you're producing the effect I mentioned. Hitting the remote Home button should wake it up. I suppose that ATV is designed for continuous connection to a TV set, so it's not really able to handle interrupting the connection. I understand that other devices don't work like this, but ATV does.

The only advantage in running ATV through the receiver might be access to higher quality surround sound. When connected to the TV, ATV will not send any signal that cannot be handled by the TV. When connected to the receiver, the receiver will negotiate the audio format. This is a complex subject which has been discussed at length here. If you get the desired results through the TV, then you're good.

As I said, the receiver is being controlled back through its HDMI output connection to the TV, which is always connected, remember. If you have connected the TV audio to one of the receiver inputs, you should be hear the ATV sound on that input. I actually use this configuration, though I don't experience the mysterious control phenomenon because my older receiver doesn't support HDMI-CEC.

The magical turning on is caused by the ATV setting "Control TV and Receiver". It uses HDMI-CEC to control them throught the HDMI connection. This also switches the TV to the correct HDMI input, which is handy. The receiver volume control is probably working because you have configured the ATV remote to do it.

Apr 30, 2016 11:28 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Dear Diana,

Thank you for taking your time!

I assume your answer is correct in explaining the problem but for me the answer goes way above my head. I´m humble indicating that Im the stupid, not understanding the advice (not my native language either - Im Swedish). Your remark "I understand that other devices don't work like this, but ATV does." is probably true - but for me it is just an disadvantage since all my other equipment does work just as expected without problems, but ATV4 is does not.

Is the answer?: Don't bother, it won't work

or i the answer yes it works, you just have to: "Search the web for HDCP for more" - well that gives me almost 10 million hits.

I have spent 4 hours today trying all I could think of. An advice that could actually help me is

"don't bother, your other equipment is to old, it won´t work"

"press this button and than this one and crash bom bang it works!

"or replace your HDMI cables to 4K and it will all work"

...or any other hands on advice.

Apr 30, 2016 12:55 PM in response to KenMac Sweden

Here is your hands on help: Do you have an audio input from TV to receiver? If so, do you get ATV sound when you select this input? Have you tried this input? I think you must have one, because otherwise you'd hear sound from the TV speakers. If you get no sound from the receiver TV input, you could try changing ATV audio mode to Stereo. Also, be sure the ATV Audio Output is set to Apple TV, not Other Speakers (that's for bluetooth speakers directly connected to ATV). Here's some info from Apple on this Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV - Apple Support .

Since you just bought your ATV, you should also check for software updates. tvOS 9.2 came out last month and is the latest. The system is evolving with these updates, and may work differently for,you.

Regarding HDMI cables, if you have video on the screen, the cable is not causing your audio problem.

Regarding ATV not reconnecting to HDMI after switching inputs, you need to report this to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html . I was just explaining that this is how it appears to work at the present time. I know HDCP is complicated. These devices have to be extra careful that someone cannot steal the HD data. This is required by the content providers that let iTunes publish their movies and TV programs. ATV may be a little too careful, but they need to be safe.

My Pioneer VXS-921-k receiver doesn’t connect with my Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.