Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wanting to upgrade from imovie

I'm very very new to video editing. Is there a significant difference between using imovie 10.1.1 and final cut?

I'd like to make more professional videos with less generic intros.

any thoughts are welcome.

owen

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:00 AM

5 replies

Apr 30, 2016 11:39 AM in response to ODog

You've posted in the Final Cut Studio forum, which is a product that has long been abandoned by Apple.

The current, supported, edit software sold by Apple is FCP-X - which has its own forum located here:

Final Cut Pro X

The workflow and interface of FCP-X is very similar to iMovie.

If your OS and hardware are compatible, you can download a 30 day free trial of FCP-X to see if it meets your needs:

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/trial/

MtD

May 2, 2016 4:19 AM in response to ODog

There is no need to use any of the Themes when you create a project . . . simply select "No Theme" from the available templates.

Incidentally the term "professional" editing app is a misnomer in so far as it will not produce professional quality films by itself.

The determining factor is the person using it and their understanding of what editing entails.

To this end, iMovie has all the tools required for a skilled editor/film-maker to make the highest quality productions.

May 2, 2016 5:48 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian,

I understand the professional thing. I've seen many photographers with high end cameras produce crappy photos. I get it.

One thing that is driving me nuts is when i try to take out a very short part of the sound from a video clip the keyframes are so small it makes it hard to grab one with the pen tool to move it. i wasn't' sure if more advanced editing apps have this same issue or is there a way to make that part of the timeline larger?

this screen shot is actually bigger than what i'm seeing on my screen. User uploaded file

I teach golf for a living and i'm trying to put together a better intro with lets say a golf ball that spins in from the side of the screen and then my name etc coming it to start the short vid. Is that something i can get as a plugin for imovie ?

wanting to upgrade from imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.