Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro removing emails from server

How do I get my MacBook Pro running Mail 9.3 on El Capitan 10.11.14 to NOT remove emails for my server?

I don't see a "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message" setting on my Mail Preferences Account area.

When I receive an email on the MacBook Pro first, I don't get the email on my iPhone 6s running OSX 9.3.1.

MacBook Pro, El Capitan 10.11.4

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:40 AM

15 replies

Apr 30, 2016 11:41 AM in response to rail buff

Yes. But more than likely the iPhone is not actually removing the messages. It is probably not downloading them because they are marked as downloaded by the MacBook Pro. This is a feature of POP to eliminate unnecessarily loading messages. Switching your iPhone to IMAP is the solution that you want. Then you can see the messages from both the iPhone and MacBook Pro.

Apr 30, 2016 11:43 AM in response to rail buff

How did you see that the "mails were being removed from the server"? Did they disappear from the MacBook Pro also? Since the MacBook Pro is using IMAP it is showing you an exact listing of the messages on the server. Think of IMAP as a window to your server. If the contents of the server change, the IMAP account on the MacBook Pro will show that.

Apr 30, 2016 11:50 AM in response to Duane

I can go into the server at register.com. It shows all mails received by my address. It is not supposed to be missing any.

Yet just a few random items - always the most important ones, of course, that were received by the MacBook Pro first were not received by the iPhone. Once received, they stayed on the MacBookPro. When I went to the server to check, I noted that the items were missing on the server.

That's what made me suspect that the MacBook Pro, which always had the email account set to IMAP, was removing the items from the server when received by the MacBook Pro. By removing them from the server, the iPhone, with the POP setting for the account did not get them from the server since they were gone.

MacBook Pro removing emails from server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.