Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it actually safe to renew your wifi lease?

I've been connected to the wifi in my house for the longest time, and all of a sudden it stoped connectin. I keep seeing people say to just renew the wifi lease, but I'm not sure if it's actually safe to do that or not? thank you to whoever answers.

iPhone 6

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:50 AM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2016 4:26 PM in response to bethanygb

The "lease" you are referring to is the DHCP address lease, and not a "WiFi lease".

Think about it this way: In order to communicate on the network, your computer needs an address (sort of like a "phone number"). When your computer first connects to a network, it asks if anyone can lend it an address to use and the router responds with "here, use this information." Boom. You're connected.

The lease AUTOMATICALLY renews ITSELF when it reaches the midway point of its duration (if it's leased for two hours, your device will attempt to renew it at one hour). You can initiate the renewal process at any point without causing any harm. The renewal is a way for your device to ask the router if it's ok to continue to use the address for a bit longer than originally planned.

is it actually safe to renew your wifi lease?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.