Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I sign into Face Time on my iMac?

When attempting to sign into Face Time on my iMac, I consistely get this error message:

An error occurred during activation. Please try again.

Face Time does work in my iPhone and iPad, and I am using messages seamlessly between all 3. I have tried both a wired, and Wifi connection on my iMac, and still receive the error message. 😐

Who can help me figure this out?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:38 AM

17 replies

Apr 30, 2016 9:20 AM in response to pedal_pusher

See if the the troubleshooting steps in this support article help:

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

And a question - are you using Two-Step Verification or Two-Factor Authentication? If so, you have to generate an App-Specific password for FaceTime and Messages:

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

May 1, 2016 9:24 AM in response to pedal_pusher

But your first post implies that the Preferences were not grayed out when you first tried to sign in. If you got that message, then you signed in the account, and it got the error. Correct?

Once you get the Preferences active so you can sign in again, the with Two-step, you will have to create an App-specific password. It is that password that you will use as the password with your Apple ID when you try to sign in again:

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

To see if we can get the Preferences back so you can try to sign in again. Have you quit the app and rebooted the Mac? If not, do so and see if that makes your Preferences under FaceTime accessible again.

Cheers,

GB

May 1, 2016 9:59 AM in response to pedal_pusher

OK, so you need to try to sign in on that screen again. Type in your Apple ID, and then in the Password section, type in the App-Specific password, and see how that works. Once you are able to sign in, you should then have access to Preferences. Here's the snippet from the FaceTime support article with an additional link for Troubleshooting:

Check that your email address is verified in FaceTime > Preferences.

• If FaceTime > Preferences shows your email status as "verifying," follow the instructions in the verification email that was sent to complete the process.
  • Toggle FaceTime off and on in FaceTime > Preferences.
  • If still unable to Sign In follow the instructions in FaceTime, Game Center, Messages on OS X: Troubleshooting Sign in

Post back with questions or issues!

Cheers,

GB

May 1, 2016 11:44 AM in response to pedal_pusher

OK, not to be annoying, but are you absolutely certain that the Apple ID you are typing in is correct? You are putting in the entire email address, right? You can also generate a new App-specific password, and try that one.

You can also just try signing in with your Apple ID and your regular password if the above doesn't work, just in case there is some disconnect on the server end with your Two-Step.

And your Mac is connected to Wifi, correct?

Sorry this is such a pain.... 😟

If that doesn't work, then you probably are going to have to contact Apple. I cannot think of any other reason why this would not work:

APPLE SUPPORT PHONE NUMBERS WW

GB

Why can I sign into Face Time on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.