Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

flashlight apps still information

I heard recently that the flashlight apps I downloaded from the Apps store can access your data. I called Apple help twice for other problems and asked about the flashlight apps problems. Neither had heard about this. The deleted flashlight Apps, I heard, continues to store your information. See how serious this is. Search Google "how your flashlight app is stealing your data (http://ivn.us/2014/10/01/phones-flashlight-app-stealing-data/). We deleted two flashlight Apps from our old 5S iPhones and was going to get a factory reset as suggested to stop the stealing of data but just bought new 6S iphones. Unfortunately the two flashlight apps deleted were reinstalled with our 2 new phones without our permission. Again we deleted these. Suggest delete Flashlight Apps in Apps Store. Tell all!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1, Apps Store Alert for Flashlight App

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:32 AM

11 replies

Apr 30, 2016 7:39 AM in response to Grandprof

Most, if not all, of the apps you describe have already been removed. Any that still exist are okay. Downloading a flashlight app for the phone is not necessary, as it already contains that capability natively.

When you say the apps were reinstalled without your permission, it happened either because you restored to a backup of your old device, or they still exist in your apps library in iTunes and your settings in iTunes show to install all apps. I suggest that you go into iTunes, and not on the device, but in iTunes, and remove those apps from there. Also check your settings for what apps are installed when you sync with iTunes. You can remove those apps from your device if you are concerned, and also restore your device to factory and install your content individually without a sync or using your backup.

Also, you are not addressing Apple here, this is a user to user support forum. If you wish to tell Apple you feel this way, then use the feedback link here, http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate subject area.

May 1, 2016 2:28 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

FYI to all... links posted in threads today are being altered in the "neverland" between pasting a perfectly good URL and them being posted in the comment.

They display correctly, but are really an infinite loop back to the thread in which they are posted when clicked (like when someone edits

hover over y'alls posted links... one external to Apple and one internal and look at the status bar URL for a preview of the loop-t-loop!

I have tried several things to get this to workaround, to no avail - I am unaware if the powers that be are yet notified == Chris? you have access to HostBar 😉

Just as a test, I'll paste y'alls URLs as plain text and see whether this is ongoing or over

http://www.apple.com/feedback

http://ivn.us/2014/10/01/phones-flashlight-app-stealing-data/

still busted

Apr 30, 2016 10:06 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I had seen this issue earlier, with another pasted link, however, I use the link piece from the upper area here. Guess that is broke too. I can post in the Host Bar and can post there if necessary.

Yep. that was part of my troubleshooting steps when I first got involved --- BTW, still busted as of a few minutes ago. FYI, I checked a few links from last evening (CDT-US) and they remain working as expected [proving that the SANFU happens in transit 'twixt paste in composition pane and display in the posted comment]

May 1, 2016 3:03 AM in response to Grandprof

One of the ways I'm able to use some of the failed posted links,

is to copy and paste them into a search engine, where even if

there isn't much to go on, sometimes the exact item appears.

The search engine can (or should, does for me with duckduckgo

search that is my set default in Firefox browser) reveal the item

and provide a working link.

The issue with the iPhone flashlight app may be that your geo-

location and other information can help someone steal data.

• from the failed link above, that goes to this discussion presently •

(http://ivn.us/2014/10/01/phones-flashlight-app-stealing-data/)

copy video URL from above page, with text below: https://youtu.be/-irnH0h3Wd8

From the web page about the problem with some of these third party apps:

"Many people have a flashlight app on their smartphone. It’s a useful tool when the

power goes out or when a user is looking for something in a poorly lit environment."

"However, what most people likely don’t realize is these apps are geo-locating the

user and stealing their data. In an interview with independent investigative journalist

Ben Swann, Gary Miliefsky, CEO of SnoopWall LLC, the world’s first “counterveillance”

company, said his group discovered that the top 10 Android flashlight apps are doing

more than just helping you see in the dark."

“They are stealing your contacts, they’re connecting through backdoor or covert channels

to other countries, and this is really crimeware, it’s malware, it’s cyber spyware.”

"These apps have up to half-a-billion installs worldwide — that is a lot of data to steal.

However, anyone who downloads one of these apps is likely oblivious to the fact that

even though the app is free, it takes more from the user than the user gets from the app."

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fivn.us%2F2014%2F10%2F01%2Fphones-flashlight-app-stealing-data%2F&t=ffsb

So, the iPhone has an app or feature already built in; essentially it becomes a costly

flashlight and uses the battery. If you use it, and cannot define a real emergency, it

may lead to more troubles when you cannot call due to lack of power. Several nice

small flashlights are high powered with variable power illumination, at fair prices. I

was given one a few years ago as holiday gift that is too good to use; rechargable

and quite bright. I could signal satellites with it. Or worse. For less cost than iPhone

you should carry a real flashlight and defer to that as the primary; using the phone

as a means to see while you change batteries in the real flashlight is a good ER use.

I'd looked into this discussion awhile back and had been using go-arounds to see the

correct pages; however links to the content have been running amok; some as long

ago as 6 to 8 months... I'd thought it was a total fluke (not the electrical meter brand.)

Anyway, hopefully your experiences here are not only learning ones, but a chance to

connect to people who are from all over. Note, non-technical discussions are limited.

In any event...

Good luck! 🙂

May 1, 2016 4:41 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Nice touch. That bit about links in the message trying to impersonate web pages you want to visit. 😉

Since notifications and following in specific discussions areas is not active in my account here,

those items are not seen by me; plus my browser usually is Firefox latest version when I'm on

line with newest Mac. Or TenFourFox when using my PowerPC Macs. SeaMonkey in my first

edition MacBook1.1 with Leopard 10.5.8. The odd ASC issues are, of course, within the site

& evidence has been appearing to me in my travels within it for weeks to months. ~ Worse now.

So tomorrow being Monday in this hemisphere should indicate some traction toward action on this

curious blundering thundermug status where it won't wash and it can't flush -- and I like clean! 😝

May 1, 2016 5:09 PM in response to K Shaffer

[chuckle]

'Twas an once in a blue moon anomaly, I have never seen it before from an Apple email - even the ones that DO contain questionable content

Thunderbird is Mozilla like FF.

Methinks it was erring on the side of caution (it did, in fact update to v. 45.0 the other day)

If ASC was revenue making instead of merely cost saving, AppleJiveTeam would have been "all hands on deck" this weekend - this mess started WELL before weekend started in Cupertino.

Have it on good authority that they updated the version of Jive

As usual, we users are doing all the 'discovery' and handing the "professionals" the troubling data on a silver platter!

I wish we convince those that make decisions to actually use (all day every day) what they foist upon us!

stay well, amigo

BTW, Pismo display is broken... my 25 y/o son sat on it! Still works with a TV as a display!

flashlight apps still information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.