Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing the latest IOS has frozen my iphone 6 and iTunes states that it must be restored to factory settings.

Installing latest IOS has frozen my iphone 6. iTunes states it must have factory settings installed. How can I save all my data?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1, screen froze with connect to iTunes

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 4:58 AM

You will get the option to 'update' only when you force it into recovery mode. you might get lucky. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it needs a complete restore to factory settings then retrieve what you can from iCloud and any other internet accounts you use.

Sync what you can back from your computer also.

You can re-download apps etc. for free but if you don't have a back up then you can only look at expensive data recovery options

If you do have to restore as new then make sure to turn on iCloud back ups or regularly back up to iTunes before doing updates in future.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 4:58 AM in response to Stambo2

You will get the option to 'update' only when you force it into recovery mode. you might get lucky. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If it needs a complete restore to factory settings then retrieve what you can from iCloud and any other internet accounts you use.

Sync what you can back from your computer also.

You can re-download apps etc. for free but if you don't have a back up then you can only look at expensive data recovery options

If you do have to restore as new then make sure to turn on iCloud back ups or regularly back up to iTunes before doing updates in future.

May 1, 2016 5:23 AM in response to Stambo2

Many thanks real jg, I am happy to tell you that I did get lucky and completed an upgrade.

MY problem may have been self inflicted by not having fully downloaded the IOS UPGRADE initially when I did an overnight upgrade, fortunately I kept quitting

Restore option until I received a "Still downloading" warning and countdown window- after several attempts.

Possibly my WiFi speed is very slow or timed-out on the overnight attempt but I feel it's another lesson learnt, plus I now have my iCloud back up activated.

THank you again,

Stambo2

installing the latest IOS has frozen my iphone 6 and iTunes states that it must be restored to factory settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.