Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPHOTO PLACES NOT WORKING -- 9.2.3--MAC OS

when i go to "info" -- then click "places" -- the gps comes up for a moment then goes away -- in have version 9.2.3 -- it use to work just fine -- help please

iMac

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:14 AM

Places do no longer work in older iPhoto versions at all. You need at least iPhoto 9.5.1 for the Places to work.

Apple did not renew the contract with Google for access to the servers that iPhoto is using.

If you want to be able to use the Places upgrade to El Capitan and iPhoto 9.6.1 (if you can - you can only update AppStore versions of iPhoto).

Or upgrade to El Capitan and Photos for Mac. Both iPhoto 9.6.1 and Photos are using different servers for the Places.

If you know how to edit HTML code, you could try the fix posted by cotton-x

You would have to sign up for a private key to Google's servers and patch the iPhoto application.

See the user tip below:

Bug: iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 8:14 AM in response to rickfrommarkdale

Places do no longer work in older iPhoto versions at all. You need at least iPhoto 9.5.1 for the Places to work.

Apple did not renew the contract with Google for access to the servers that iPhoto is using.

If you want to be able to use the Places upgrade to El Capitan and iPhoto 9.6.1 (if you can - you can only update AppStore versions of iPhoto).

Or upgrade to El Capitan and Photos for Mac. Both iPhoto 9.6.1 and Photos are using different servers for the Places.

If you know how to edit HTML code, you could try the fix posted by cotton-x

You would have to sign up for a private key to Google's servers and patch the iPhoto application.

See the user tip below:

Bug: iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

Apr 30, 2016 8:41 AM in response to rickfrommarkdale

The upgrade will definitely cause problems with older iMovie versions. But ask in the iMovie forum for a second opinion. I don't use iMovie that much. Since the upgrade to El Capitan OS 10.11.4 is my iMovie 9.0.9 no longer running well. Luckily for me I am starting to like iMovie 10.1.2. It is more intuitive and integrates well with the new Photos for MAc.

if doable how do i upgrade to iphoto 9.5.1 -- thank you again -- i mainly just use this computer to make dvd shows

It is too late to go to iPhoto 9.5.1, if you do not already have an installer saved. You will have to do the full monty and go all the way to El Capitan and iPhoto 9.6.1.

Apple stopped the development of iPhoto last year. It is no longer sold. And the versions, that support the places , iPhoto 9.5.1 and newer, have only been sold at the AppStore and never been made available on Apple's update page for download.

Because iPhoto is no longer sold, you can no longer download the updates as updates. The only thing that is possible is reinstalling an iPhoto version from the AppStore you already own. Is iPhoto showing in your Purchases history at the AppStore? On the forth tab of the App Store- Purchases? If yes, you can update to iPhoto 9.6.1, after you upgrade to El Capitan. If you do not own an AppStore version of iPhoto, but only installer DVDs, it is now too late to update iPhoto. Then you could migrate to Photos for Mac on El Capitan, that also supports Places.

See Barney's user Tip for more detail:
Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store.

Added: Sooner or later you will have to give up on iPhoto. In addition to the missing support for Places Apple stopped the support for print products. It is no longer possible to order photo books, calendars, or cards from iPhoto, only from the new Photos for Mac application.

IPHOTO PLACES NOT WORKING -- 9.2.3--MAC OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.