Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library access is corrupted

I (accidentally and stupidly) disconnected an external hard drive from my Macbook Pro 2015 (El Capitan 10.11.4) without first ejecting it after downloading photos from a card into an Aperture 3.6 library. As a result I now can't get back into the Aperture library. I use a 2TB Time Capsule for back-up

Here's what happened:

• After successfully importing images into an Aperture library from a camera SD card, I clicked on the dialogue box to delete the images from the SD card and eject it (my normal routine).
  • Then, instead of removing the SD card, I mistakenly disconnected the external hard drive instead.
  • When I opened Aperture again (with the eHD reconnected) I got the following message:

There was an error opening the database for the library “/Volumes/EPCP PROJECT HD/EPCP Image Library.aplibrary”

• I quit Aperture and then reopened it while holding down the Option & Command keys (as instructed).
  • This produced a dialogue box with three repair or rebuild options. Clicking on any option produced the result:

Time Machine is backing up “EPCP Image Library”. EPCP Image Library” cannot be opened until Time Machine has finished.

• Time Machine was not backing up. To be on the safe side, I did then do a back up in Time Machine. I got the same results once more after the back-up was completed. I tried again with Time Machine switched off. Still the same result.

I have tried switching off the laptop as well as the Time Capsule and restarting them. No luck.

I now have three problems:

1. I need to change something in the system that tells Aperture it's OK to repair/rebuild the library
  2. I need to recover/repair my library
  3. And, vitally, I want to recover the 8-10 images that I was trying to download in the first place.

I need some very simple instructions to achieve this. While I use a computer a lot for regular apps, I have difficulty processing instructions about what's happening in the background - which assume I know what I'm looking at. When I get a dialogue box, particularly with options to choose, unless I already understand what it's about, I really do struggle. I'm a retired person and there is still much of this tech stuff that goes over my head.

• I have read somewhere that the program is fooled by the existence of a file that makes it mistakenly think Time Machine is still actually saving something.
  • I have seen reference to .plist and .InProgress files – but I'm quite confused as to what & where these are and what they do - and what I should do with them.
  • It does occur to me that if I simply restore an earlier version of the library (from Time Machine) I will probably not recover the latest photos that I had just downloaded.

If anyone can give me some step-by-step instructions, I would be immensely grateful. These images relate to a childhood care history project and mean quite a lot to me (and some other people, too). Also, all the images have detailed metadata stored with them and so I'm keen to preserve that, too.

Sorry this is such a long post.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:21 AM

18 replies

Apr 30, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Hoonose

Check, if there is a lock file in the Aperture Library:

• Select the Aperture library in the Finder, ctrl-click it, and select "show package contents":
  • In the folder that opens, navigate to the folder Database/apdb/lockfile.pid. If that file exists, move the file to the trash. Dn't touch anything else.
  • Close the Finder window again and try to launch Aperture.

Does that work?

Apr 30, 2016 3:17 PM in response to Hoonose

Have created a new, blank library successfully on the same ext HD as the problem library. Importing old library but the Merging Library progress bar has only filled up about one fifth of the way for the last few minutes and hasn't progressed any further. Spinning wheel is still spinning. Right clicking the Aperture icon in the dock says Aperture is not responding.

Aperture library access is corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.