Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a program like Avast helpful for spyware?

I got a call from a con artist wanting to fix my malware problems and also recommended a program

called Avast.

Is this a legit program and do I need it? Thanks, Tom

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 9:32 AM

Well, since it was a con artist, that pretty much says it all in terms of whether it is something you need. Macs do not need any sort of Anti-virus software, and many of them will actually mess up your Mac, so my advice is to stay away from all of them. In the past we have had reports of people with Avast having serious problems with their iTunes Libraries.

Unless you are running a Windows partition on your Mac, you really don't need to be concerned with viruses. And if you have Adware, you will know it. Your best defense against Adware is to use common sense and caution with websites you visit and links you click on.

Best of luck,

GB

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 9:32 AM in response to tomnah

Well, since it was a con artist, that pretty much says it all in terms of whether it is something you need. Macs do not need any sort of Anti-virus software, and many of them will actually mess up your Mac, so my advice is to stay away from all of them. In the past we have had reports of people with Avast having serious problems with their iTunes Libraries.

Unless you are running a Windows partition on your Mac, you really don't need to be concerned with viruses. And if you have Adware, you will know it. Your best defense against Adware is to use common sense and caution with websites you visit and links you click on.

Best of luck,

GB

Is a program like Avast helpful for spyware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.