Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate External Hardrive

hi

i have just brought a seagate external 1tb hard rive to store all our photos. I have plugged it in but it won't allow me to transfer any documents or photos over to it.

There doesn't seem to be any instructions on how to install or if i need to.

I have googled and they say to format it it will erase all my documents on my hard drive. is this correct?

can anyone help me please?

thanks laura

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 9:57 AM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2016 10:04 AM in response to lozzajim

This generally means that the volume is formatted as NTFS, in which case it either needs to be reformatted or software such as Paragon NTFS installed onto the Mac. To check, select the volume in the Finder, choose Get Info, and look at the format.

In the event that this occurs for a FAT32, exFAT, or Mac OS Extended volume, either the volume's directory structure is damaged, or it's locked in hardware, or the drive has sensed that it's about to fail.

Reformatting the external drive will delete everything on it, but documents on the internal one will remain as is.

(141946)

Seagate External Hardrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.