Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS text messages "not delivered"

I did search prior discussions and didn't see much on this exact issue. My wife's iPhone 6 (9.3.1) cannot send (or apparently receive) SMS text messages. iMessages work fine. I have confirmed that SMS messaging is turned on in the settings of course. She took it to the AT&T store and they tried changing the SIM card, but that didn't help at all (and for some reason just about completely reset the phone settings). They suggested that it could be a hardware issue..? Is there a separate SMS radio chip or the like? Any ideas as to anything else we can try or check? Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1, null

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 9:50 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2016 11:04 AM in response to ManSinha

Hi ManSinha. No, nothing has been changed with the account, phone or settings recently that I can think of, other than an adjustment to her data plan. And iMessage seems to be working fine. I thought "hardware issue" sounded like a cop-out on AT&T's part. Seems like a waste of time to go to the Genius Bar for this issue. Maybe we try our luck with a different AT&T store/rep (though even the manager had jumped in to try to help her during the first visit).

Apr 30, 2016 12:02 PM in response to HouseofG

Hi,

iMessages are sent over data or WiFi and go through apple's own data centers without following standard protocols whereas standard SMS text messages go through your carrier so all that iMessage proves really is that the phone can connect to WiFi.

To help get to the bottom of this, could you please tell me what you have already tried and whether the iPhone can recieve phone calls / connect to data and whether the phone recognises the sim (If it doesn't 'NO SIM' will display on the left of the status bar).

This should narrow down which end the issue is on,

Thanks and all the best. 🙂

Apr 30, 2016 11:31 AM in response to HyperBit

Hi HyperBit. There are no issues with calls or data connections otherwise. The new SIM is also working fine (aside from having reset most of the settings as I mentioned). This is the only issue she is having (it's been an issue for weeks). In terms of what we have tried, I could only check settings and test with SMS recipients whom we know do not have iMessage. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2016 12:02 PM in response to HouseofG

Hi,

The fact that the phone can read the SIM and establish a cellular connection prooves that it isn't an issue connecting to the network from your device.

This basically means that it is either an issue within the messages app that a simple restore could fix, or that it is an issue on your carrier's end.

You can wipe an iPhone using these steps:

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Before wiping, I reccomend making a backup which you can then put back on the device by following these steps:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

I find it more likely that it is an issue on your carriers end though. Make sure that they know the phone recognises the sim and can make phone calls and you may want to start a chat with apple and see what they say. If they blame your carrier, take screenshots of that with you. This has worked for me before.

Good luck and let me know how you get on, all the best. 🙂

Apr 30, 2016 12:01 PM in response to ManSinha

Guys, I am so sorry for wasting your time, but I followed ManSinha's advice and called AT&T. They had for some reason turned off her texting plan! So it was purely a matter of the service not being part of our plan at the moment. They have fixed it and she is good to go. Again, sorry, because this was far from a technical issue, but I really appreciate you jumping in to help.

Apr 30, 2016 12:07 PM in response to HouseofG

HouseofG wrote:

Guys, I am so sorry for wasting your time, but I followed ManSinha's advice and called AT&T. They had for some reason turned off her texting plan! So it was purely a matter of the service not being part of our plan at the moment. They have fixed it and she is good to go. Again, sorry, because this was far from a technical issue, but I really appreciate you jumping in to help.

Please do not apologize - we are very glad your issue was solved

We are for the most part volunteers and do it for fellow Apple aficionados - in a sense I dare say - it was technical as someone had to turn a switch somewhere

Please let us know of any questions

(1254)

Apr 30, 2016 12:12 PM in response to ManSinha

Yes, I know. And you guys are absolutely wonderful for doing it. This had been driving my wife nuts for months, and not even the AT&T store could figure it out. We are grandfathered into an old 550 plan (versus the newer Family Share plans), so maybe that was throwing them off.

So, this was where I needed to be to get this resolved to begin with. Thanks again!

SMS text messages "not delivered"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.