Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually manage??

Can someone explain what this "Manually manage music and videos" check box do? It is under "Options".

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 6:56 PM

Rather than use the sync option to handle music from iTunes to the iOS device, you can click and drag individual pieces of music/video. In the beginning it is a little cumbersome, but if you only want a small amount of music on a device, it can be advantageous. However, changing from sync to manually manage will cause the entire library to be deleted from the iOS device, and the same if you change back from manually manage to sync.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 6:56 PM in response to MABB17

Rather than use the sync option to handle music from iTunes to the iOS device, you can click and drag individual pieces of music/video. In the beginning it is a little cumbersome, but if you only want a small amount of music on a device, it can be advantageous. However, changing from sync to manually manage will cause the entire library to be deleted from the iOS device, and the same if you change back from manually manage to sync.

Apr 30, 2016 10:58 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, you appear to be incorrect as well. Here's what I did:

Plugged in iphone

Clicked Summary

Checked "Manually manage music and videos"

Hi Apply

Now, if I hit Sync nothing happens. Phone is the same as it was. Old playlists on phone. Playlists on computer are unchanged.

Now, if I hit Music

Then check Sync Music box I will get a warning - "Are you sure you want to remove ... stuff from the phone"

I hit Remove and sync

Hit Apply

It syncs. Now, I have the updated playlist on the phone. The computer playlist is intact.

So, I have in effect copied from the computer to the phone. And not synced.

Apr 30, 2016 2:02 PM in response to MABB17

MABB17 wrote:

So the only solution is to make sure you backup your playlist before you sync just in case you messed up the one on your phone. And, try not to ever change the one on your phone.

The solution to what? Your question was what was manually manage, and I explained that to you. Everytime you sync your device to the computer and iTunes you create a backup. That does not have anything to do with manually manage. Also, if you make a change to something on the phone, it will reflect on the computer, that is what a sync would do.

Apr 30, 2016 6:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Sorry Chris, I was referring to my other thread. You are right. I think. this is so confusing. So, checking the "manual" box makes it so you have to drag the songs onto the phone rather than syncing. Which is what I want. I want to just move a few lists albums onto the phone, not the whole library. When I change a playlist I want to move the updated playlist onto the phone and have the original on the computer to remain unaffected.

I tried moving an updated playlist on the phone and it asked me if I was sure I wanted to replace the old with the new, like copying a file.

I think, what I was doing wrong was checking that Sync box under music which was just making it do it the old way.

It seems I can still drag and drop with the "manual" button unchecked but then it goes back to syncing, I think, rather than copying.

Manually manage??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.