Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Server 5 - Dynamic IP?

Hey guys, I've been using an OSX server on Lion for the last 4 or so years to host a few websites. Since I've got a dynamic IP address, I've been using a dynamic dns service this whole time (noip.com) to keep track of my external IP address and to point the nameservers for my domain at. Using the server 3 app on Lion was easy and allowed me to set a DHCP reservation which I had allocated internally (192.168.1.10) which was outside the DHCP range.

I'm not as well versed in these kind of things so hopefully my above explanation of our previous setup is adequate. So as of last night I upgraded the server to El Capitan, and purchased the new server software (server 5 I believe), and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I can do here to get my websites working again. The server app recognized the file locations and carried the websites over, but will no longer allow me to set a specific IP address (namely the 192.168.1.10 which is reserved) for the websites.

Can anyone offer some tips on how to get my website back up and running? I've still got the dynamic IP updater working but I can't figure out how to tell my websites to use the specific DHCP reservation I have set up.

Thanks in advance and I'll be monitoring this post closely if any extra information is needed.

-David

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 8:22 PM

I can't test these instructions at the moment, but I think you want 'multihoming', i.e. more than one ip address on the same NIC. Use

System Preferences > Network

and add a new ethernet service with the ip address 192.168.1.10. In the websites section of Server this should appear on the ipaddress dropdown when you create a new website, or edit an existing one.

HTH

C.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 8:22 PM in response to David Skudra XBL

I can't test these instructions at the moment, but I think you want 'multihoming', i.e. more than one ip address on the same NIC. Use

System Preferences > Network

and add a new ethernet service with the ip address 192.168.1.10. In the websites section of Server this should appear on the ipaddress dropdown when you create a new website, or edit an existing one.

HTH

C.

OSX Server 5 - Dynamic IP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.