Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have updated my oldie moldie G5 to the highest it can tolerate, OS 10.5.8. My IT brother, hooked my system to a second back up for my mega photos to Seagate Backup Plus; now, among other things, my iCloud connection has disappeared. Suggestions?

I use my G5 MAC for creating a pictorial manuscript editing on Photoshop. My IT brother just connected my one million plus photos to a second back up (first is Hitachi) now using Seagate Backup Plus so I wont turn into a crazy person if I loose all my work over the course of 12 years! However as blessed as this Seagate is, my system is spacing out. Now I can't connect to my Apple e-mail on Safari through iCloud. Updating my hardware is not a financial option at this time. Need suggestions and ideas!

Power Mac G5 (Late 2005), Mac OS X (10.5.7), I just added Seagate for 1m photos

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 10:59 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2016 4:30 AM in response to ArtsyPoets

External hard drives are not that expensive. http://www.macsales.com/ has a Voyager case for about $80, and most decent hard drives are only about $100 that are SATA. Get the one with Firewire. The only real advantage to having an iCloud backup is in case of theft or disaster at your property location. Backup at night with software such as Superduper which can be found for 10.5.8. iCloud for most functions other than email is only compatible with 10.7 and up. Upgrading to it though as you imagine will require updating much of your other software too. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

I have updated my oldie moldie G5 to the highest it can tolerate, OS 10.5.8. My IT brother, hooked my system to a second back up for my mega photos to Seagate Backup Plus; now, among other things, my iCloud connection has disappeared. Suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.