Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 08, version 3.0.3 not responding

I am currently running El Capitan, version 10.11.4 with my (iMac 27-inch, late 2009). For the last two months or more when I open up Pages 08, version 3.0.3 the document will not open, I can hear it in the background, and the spinning beach ball will appear.

I will wait for a few minutes and will force quit the application, and try again. Some times I will try to open Pages two more times before it opens and when it does, the document page is black in color and then becomes a white page with my text.

When I try to save the document, the spinning beach ball will appear and go on forever, some times over a minute. I also have Keynote 08, version 4.0.4, and Numbers 08, version 1.0.3, I don’t use these very much and wonder if I should upgrade to the latest versions of Keynote and Numbers?

I have thought about upgrading to Pages, version 5.6.1 but reading the reviews on the App Store many people are unhappy with this version.

I use Pages daily and have many Appleworks documents that I need to open.

Thanks,

DaisyMay

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2016 3:56 PM

Try holding down the shift key while you reopen those Pages '08 documents that were not exited cleanly. Once the document (we hope) opens properly, then save it again.

I would recommend the retail iWork '09 DVD and its Apple iWork 9.3 updater, long before I would recommend anyone updating to the current Pages v5.6.1, Numbers v3.6.1, or Keynote v6.6.1. Newer is not better. The retail iWork '09 DVD is available through Amazon, or Ebay resellers.

The current applications have substantial lost functionality from their iWork '09 counterparts, and will damage your older documents due to those lack of supported features, and a backwards incompatible document format. The iWork '09 application suite is compatible with your iWork '08 suite documents. That updater above is the last update for the iWork '09 applications.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2016 3:56 PM in response to DaisyMay

Try holding down the shift key while you reopen those Pages '08 documents that were not exited cleanly. Once the document (we hope) opens properly, then save it again.

I would recommend the retail iWork '09 DVD and its Apple iWork 9.3 updater, long before I would recommend anyone updating to the current Pages v5.6.1, Numbers v3.6.1, or Keynote v6.6.1. Newer is not better. The retail iWork '09 DVD is available through Amazon, or Ebay resellers.

The current applications have substantial lost functionality from their iWork '09 counterparts, and will damage your older documents due to those lack of supported features, and a backwards incompatible document format. The iWork '09 application suite is compatible with your iWork '08 suite documents. That updater above is the last update for the iWork '09 applications.

Apr 30, 2016 2:46 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hi again,

I just thought that when the App Store updates my OS X, and other apps will it update my iWorks 09 to the newer version? I just went to system preferences and selected the App Store and selected to only automatically check for updates, but don't install them except for the system data files and security updates. Is this what you do?

Thanks,

DaisyMay

May 2, 2016 3:56 PM in response to DaisyMay

With the automatically check for updates, but don't install them setting in the System Preferences : App Store panel, you will get a sliding notification that updates are available in your OS X App Store updates panel. They will not be automatically installed. Here is my settings:

User uploaded file

The iWork '09 applications are not updated with Pages v5.6.1, Numbers v3.6.1, and Keynote 6.6.1 installation. If I remember correctly, the iWork '09 DVD will install its applications into an Applications : iWork '09 folder. If you decide to install the newer applications, they will be installed in your Applications folder — so both generations co-exist. Double-clicking on any iWork '09 document with the newer applications installed will open it in the new applications — not the iWork '09 applications.

Apr 30, 2016 7:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

"If I remember correctly, the iWork '09 DVD will install its applications into an Applications : iWork '09 folder."

My memory has conflicts concerning this.

Checking two older machines running Leopard and Tiger, I did find the iWork '09 applications in a folder named iWork '09, but if memory serves, I had created that folder and moved them there myself after doing the same for the iWork '08 versions, which I did not want replaced by the newer versions.

On my MBPro, recently updated to El Cap, the installer(s) for the current versions of Numbers, Pages and Keynote created a new folder and moved the '09 versions into that before installing the new applications at top level in the Applications folder.

I have doubts about it working in the other direction, and would suggest that before installing '09 from the retail disk, you make a (temporary) "iWork current" folder and drag your current versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote into that folder.

Then install the iWork '09 versions from the retail disk.

Then check your applications folder to see where they were actually installed—top level, or in a new iWork 09 folder created by the installer. (Please report the result back to this thread to refresh my memory—and Viking's).

Before moving on, run the Numbers '09 updater (see link in Viking's first reply) to bring the '09 apps up to the .3 versions, then go on to the remaining steps.

If the '09 versions are in a folder with the '09 name(with or without the ' ), leave them there.

If they are not in that folder, create one (named iWork '09) and drag the three iWork '09 applications into it.

When they are safely in that folder, click the disclosure triangle beside the "iWork current" folder you created, drag the current versions out of that folder, drop them into top level of the Applications folder, then delete the (empty) "iWork current" folder.

This puts the 'current' versions where the updater expects to find them, and the '09 versions where it won't disturb them.

Regards,

Barry

May 1, 2016 5:56 PM in response to DaisyMay

Hi DaisyMay,

This evening, I installed OS X 10.11.4 on a 2009 Mac mini. I then installed the iWork '09 DVD, and confirmed that a new folder iWork '09, containing the iWork '09 applications, is created in the Applications folder, and icons for Pages '09, Numbers '09, and Keynote '09 are added to the the Dock. Following the iWork '09 updater, these applications were updated to their last revisions: v4.3, v2.3, and v5.3 respectively.

Should you install the current round of lesser capable applications: Pages v5.6.1, Numbers v3.6.1, and Keynote v6.6.1, these will be installed in the Applications folder, will not touch the iWork '09 applications, and will take priority over the older applications when double-clicking Pages documents. Use the right-click, open with menu item to access Pages (4.3) instead of the default Pages v5.6.1.

Remember that clicking the red traffic light on the document toolbar will close the document, but not quit Pages '09. If you click a Pages v5 document while Pages '09 continues to run, it will tell you in a dialog that the index.xml file is missing. None of the newer applications use this internal file, but the older documents do.

All Pages documents look the same regardless of the application that created them.

May 1, 2016 6:10 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks VikingOSX,

Do I need to follow what Barry said to create a "iWork current" folder for my 08 Pages etc., and then follow your latest reply to use the '09 Pages?

I want to apologize for clicking on the green icon called resolved, it shows that I resolved the problem and I did not; it was your first reply to me and Barry's suggestion. I want to make sure you all got the credit for the fast response to me about this problem.

Thanks again,

DaisyMay

May 2, 2016 3:31 PM in response to DaisyMay

When you installed the iWork '08 DVD, it should have created an Applications : iWork '08 folder. It also put all of the dependent iWork '08 libraries in the System Library : Application Support : iWork '08 folder location. The iWork '09 DVD will follow this pattern, keeping your iWork '08, iWork '09 applications and their respective dependent libraries isolated from one another.

Installing the current versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote will not have any effect on your installations of iWork '08, and iWork '09 applications — because the new applications will be installed directly into your Applications folder. The new applications have their own templates, and establish their own support environment in your local Library : Containers : com.apple.iWork.<application name> (e.g. com.apple.iWork.Pages) package folders.

You should realize that the new applications get their text replacement content from the System Preferences : Keyboard : Text panel, rather than from the previous application Preferences : Auto-Correction panel : Symbol and text substitution list.

May 2, 2016 4:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you,

I just got my DVD an hour ago and installed it as you said when you installed it on your 2009 mac mini. My iWork '08 and my new iWork '09 from the DVD and the 9.3 update worked, and both are listed in my applications folder. I did not get a serial number for the iWork '09, but see that the newer versions of pages, keynote, and numbers show that I have an update on the App Store to the version Pages v5 and etc.

I guess that since iWork '09 has been replaced there is no need to register my DVD that I bought, in fact when I click on to register this application it brings me to the Apple Website (http://www.apple.com/mac/) strange?

I am not familiar with your message text replacement for the new application and where the old one is, I just type away in Pages and it all works for me. I don't like to confuse myself, but do I really need to update the pages, etc., and worry about how to open the '09 version versus the v5 version?

Thank you for all of your help.

DaisyMay

May 2, 2016 4:42 PM in response to DaisyMay

So, it looks like you are on your way.

The Apple license/registration servers for iWork '09 are long gone. The Help menu for each of the '09 applications will take you to an Apple download site where you can retrieve the PDF user guides. Only useful for the '09 applications, as Pages v5.6.1 is neither based on Pages '09 and represents an entirely new design.

Documents created in Pages '08 and '09 can be opened by Pages v5.6.1, but any features present in the earlier created documents that are not implemented in Pages v5.6.1 (and there are scores missing) will cause those older document features to be either omitted, or mangled.

Documents created in Pages v5.6.1 cannot be opened directly in Pages '09 without first exporting to Pages '09 format. If you attempt to open a Pages v5.6.1 document in Pages '09, you will receive either an index.xml file missing dialog, or a dialog telling you that you need a newer version of Pages (to open that document). When this happens, you quit Pages '09, and double-click that same document to open it properly in Pages v5.6.1.

Pages 08, version 3.0.3 not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.