Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What excel app works for saving a numbers file

I Have an mac air

i have a template Iam using from Amazon formatted for microsoft and when I save it to excel it looses my photos in the spread sheet I can't compress file

it seems like I need an excel app to buy but not sure which one

aanyone know the esiesr app to have excel on my Mac

thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:10 AM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2016 11:55 AM in response to cary48

As far as I know only Numbers can open a Numbers file.

Numbers also can open most Excel .xls and .xlsx files, but some things, such as photos, may be lost in the import.

Excel 2016 for the Mac is a good citizen of the Mac environment. You should consider it if you are working a lot with .xlsx files that contain special features that don't import well into Numbers.

SG

Apr 30, 2016 2:44 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth wrote:

Note that Excel for a Mac is not available through the Mac App Store. You can buy it (or subscribe to it via Office 365) directly from Microsoft: https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/microsoft-office-for-mac

It's available from Apple's iOS App Store, via In-App Purchases:

User uploaded file

A subscription gives you the whole Office suite on iPad/iPhone, the Mac, Windows, and online. Aside from feature set/polish and security (no Java, no dependence on volunteers, and frequent updates these days), that cross-platform capability is a major differentiator from the clones.

SG

Apr 30, 2016 2:56 PM in response to SGIII

SGIII wrote:

It's available from Apple's iOS App Store, via In-App Purchases:

Agree - - was just trying to save the OP from searching in the Mac App store (where a search for Excel turns up results that are apparently confusing enough that people end up buying things that they think are Excel when they are not) and also I didn't see any indication that the OP has any iOS devices. I do have an Office 365 subscription and agree that it can be worthwhile.

Apr 30, 2016 3:11 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth wrote:

Agree - - was just trying to save the OP from searching in the Mac App store (where a search for Excel turns up results that are apparently confusing enough that people end up buying things that they think are Excel when they are not)

Good point! Those Excel-related items on the Mac App Store no doubt result in some customers ending up with something different from what they thought they were getting. There seems to be less chance of confusion on the (iOS) App Store, but it still exists. I guess the key point, if not going directly to MS, is to remember 'In-App Purchases.' In my case, that turned out well.

SG

Apr 30, 2016 6:27 PM in response to cary48

Hi Cary,

Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac includes Excel, and will give you the greatest compatibility with Excel for Windows.

Other options are LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, both of which are open source and intended to more closely match the behaviour of Excel (and the other MS Office applications) than in Numbers.

Regards,

Barry

What excel app works for saving a numbers file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.