Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I airplay Netflix from iPad?

I am running the latest version of the iOS on my iPad and would like to airplay (as in wireless) Netflix to our big screen TV. It seems to me this used to work but I cannot get it to do so now. Also will not work from my iPhone 6. It does, however, work from my Macbook Pro. My issue is that I like to work on photos while I'm watching TV so I don't want to dedicate my macbook to just watching Netflix.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 12:23 PM

15 replies

May 30, 2017 8:30 AM in response to january7820022001

At both MaryAustin and January7820022001,

If you both do not have access to Internet in the areas in which you live and have Netflix movies downloaded on your wirelsss iDevice, have you tried purchasing the Apple Digital AV adapter and a good quality HDMI cable and simply plug your iPad into the TV via the adapter and an HDMI cable?

Your iPad becomes the streaming source instead of trying to wirelessly Airplay.

Also, it seems to me if neither one of you has Internet access, wouldn't it be best for your situations to just have a plain 'ole Blu-Ray/DVD player and purchase actual content on discs, instead?

Takes a lot of the diffiuculty out of the equation.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 30, 2016 1:00 PM in response to pariseau

Your clue is the mention of HDCP. This is a rights issue.

Netflix's outbound signal will carry the instructions to the hardware.

The system is meant to stop HDCP-encrypted content from being played on unauthorized devices or devices which have been modified to copy HDCP content.[2][3] Before sending data, a transmitting device checks that the receiver is authorized to receive it. If so, the transmitter encrypts the data to prevent eavesdropping as it flows to the receiver.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

May 1, 2016 9:35 AM in response to Rudegar

Hi

we want to run Netflix from another device because we are trying to use our US Netflix account in Canada while we are here. (we live part of the time in the US and part of the time in Canada and don't want to pay for 2 accounts)...it has always worked until recently if we put in alternate router numbers but now it doesn't. However, it does work from my Macbook Pro.

I suppose there's a possibility that we have been flagged by Netflix.

It would work from the iBooks using Opera if Netflix would let us run from the browser but it insists on our using the iOS app.

May 1, 2016 3:21 PM in response to LACAllen

and it's very annoying especially for those of us who live part time in each country. I realize it has to do with the ownership rights of each movie (I have a daughter working "in the industry" in LA) - but you'd think they'd try to be accommodating. We may just blow off Netflix - there hasn't been much of interest on it lately anyhow. There are plenty of safe internet sites where you can watch back seasons of shows. It's just **** annoying to see that Netflix button on Apple TV. We also used to be able to get our Amazon Prime videos through our DVD player -- now that's disappeared as well. Thanks anyway for giving me info.

Why can't I airplay Netflix from iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.