Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get music from old iMac to new iPhone

Hello! I have an old iMac ( 24 inch Snow Leopard) with a good size music library that I used to manually sync with my old iPhone. The music on the phone and computer were always indentical. I moved to a new apartment and the iMac was boxed up and has remained that way for a couple of years. I have since replaced my old iPhone with a 6s. I have made a few song purchases which now reside on the phone. I want to get all my old music off the old iMac and onto my new phone. Is this as simple as manually syncing like I used to? Am I in danger if I connect the new phone to the old computer that I risk losing or deleting the old music on my computer or the new music on my phone? Thanks

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 1:35 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2016 3:44 PM in response to marcos8

Is this as simple as manually syncing like I used to?

Yes.

Am I in danger if I connect the new phone to the old computer that I risk losing or deleting the old music on my computer...

No. Connecting any iDevices, new or old, authorized or not, will have no effect on the computer library.

... or the new music on my phone?

If your new iPhone was at any point connected to another computer, then Yes, connecting it to a different computer will warn you that everything will be erased from it. Purchased music can be re-downloaded for free, but you also have other data on the phone that can't be replaced so easily.

Take note:

Your new iPhone will not be compatible with the iTunes version installed on your old computer. You need to update it to the current version, which may or may not be possible on the old iMac.

Get music from old iMac to new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.