Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing in OS 10.6.8

I am missing something. I'm trying to help my father by setting up his computer to share his screen with me across the internet. I have gone to "sharing" in preferences and set screen sharing to "on." I have found my name in the allowed user box (from his address book) and declared myself a user. I have made note of his vnc number. But when I "connect to server" at my computer and punch in his vnc:// (number) the connection fails. What am I missing? (I also tried this same procedure the opposite direction, to share my screen with him, but that didn't work either.) Both computer are on WIFI connections in their respective houses.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 4:00 AM

Hi!

You know that your IP-Adress is changed every day by your provider?

Every time you want to connect to your daddy you have to get his new IP-Adress.

Good Luck,

Peter

4 replies

May 1, 2016 12:08 PM in response to Peter Borbonus

Thank you Peter. I didn't know that. However, I don't think that's the problem because everything I did yesterday I did in the same day. I will keep that in mind as I go forward, so as not to add one more problem on top of others.

Actually, I just checked the number on my computer and it is the same as yesterday's number, so now I'm not so sure that info is correct. Perhaps we're talking about two different numbers...?

May 2, 2016 5:40 AM in response to thaisle

Hi!

I'm talking about your external IP-Adress. This could change several times a day, depending on your provider and preferences of your router (this is what you named "vnc://number").

Also the internal IP-Adress of the mac of your father has to be the same every time he turns on the mac, if the firewall of the router is turned on.

I hope this helped,

Peter.

Screen sharing in OS 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.