Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add memory to mac mini

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini.

The Specs say it accepts max 4GB (I suppose that meant 2x2GB)

I have installed 2 x 4GB 1067 DDR3 and it works well.

I now want to increase this to 2x8GB (16GB)

Does anyone have experience please?

I don't really want to spend the money on the memory and find it won't work!

Thanks

Mouson

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 2:03 PM

11 replies

May 1, 2016 7:36 AM in response to mouson

Thanks again. The issue came to head when a Parallels technician logged in to sort out a problem. He suggested I needed more memory... When I load Parallels (a) the cpu is saturated (80-120%) and (b) this lasts for 3/4 minutes. I actually can and have lived with that because once it settles down and the cpu goes down to 7-12% all is pretty much OK. If I did use an SSD it would have to be an external one via USB because I've loads of them spare and it would be faster than taking the machine to pieces... 🙂 I thought I could just move my Home directory to the SSD - would that work or is the practical answer to stop worrying?

May 1, 2016 1:46 PM in response to mouson

That Mac mini only has USB 2.0 (not 3.0) so an SSD (in an external drive enclosure) connected via USB port would be hampered by the "bottleneck" of the USB port speed. It probably would not be very much faster than a regular (good quality) USB external hard drive.

A FireWire 800 connection would be somewhat better, but still significantly slower than using the SSD internally. To gain a true speed advantage using an SSD (on that Mac mini), it needs to be connected internally. You can replace the internal optical drive with an SSD, using a kit from OWC, to have TWO internal 2.5-inch drives.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMMCL0GB/

add memory to mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.