Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri is using up my battery

Day before yesterday I found my battery was 2% so ran a few apps to let it shut down. I fully recharged it to 100% with my original charger. The last charge was 9hr 48 minutes ago yesterday. I used a few routine apps yesterday PM and finished off with Siri & wake/Sleep button.

Early this morning my battery usage showed only 2% left again. I found Siri used 96%, 1Password 3% & Home & lock screen 1%.

The day before I used Siri to open Airplane Mode which it opened, and I turned on Airplane Mode.

Last evening, I asked Siri to turn off airPort mode 2x and of course got nearby Airport locations. Duh, realized I should Siri for Airplane Mode which she did and I turned "on" airplane mode.

My next action is to use the wake/sleep button and shut down my iPad after going to Airplane Mode.

Is Siri responsible for sucking my battery dry just waiting for a question? I have Siri location services using it a While Using the App.

Siri is actually the only App i've been using recently.

My specs: iPad Air, IOS 9.3.1, Model# MD786LL/A

iPad Air Wi-Fi, 32GB

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 2:10 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2016 3:16 PM in response to jimr55555

Something you said above does not make sense ...

jimr55555 wrote:

The day before I used Siri to open Airplane Mode which it opened, and I turned on Airplane Mode.

Last evening, I asked Siri to turn off airPort mode 2x and of course got nearby Airport locations. ...

You must have left steps out in between these two steps above.

Siri cannot work in Airplane Mode! For Siri to work, you must be connected to the internet. You could not have gotten Airport locations if you showed the complete scenario above.

Apr 30, 2016 3:54 PM in response to sberman

I've used Airplane in the past but not asking Siri to open the app. Airplane Mode - Grey button-off = Internet on. Green button on = Internet is off. Yes, I was on the Internet at the end if my day and on asked Siri to open "Airport" by mistake on 2nd day but corrected it to open "Airplane Mode". Sooo, why did Siri show 96% usage since Airplane Mode was "on" (no Internet connection). I had to go to Setting this AM and "turn off" Airplane Mode to get on the Internet again this AM. 😝 Who's talking with Siri and using up my battery power? Someone having a party?

Apr 30, 2016 4:18 PM in response to jimr55555

You always have the option to disable Siri

1) Go to Settings > General

2) Select "Siri" and switch the toggle to the "OFF" position.

3) Confirm your selection by choosing "Turn Off Siri"

However, I do find it curious that Siri would take up so much battery. On your particular model of iPad, Siri isn't always listening unless the iPad is plugged in. And if your iPad is plugged in, and "Hey Siri" is activated, you should not be seeing any discharge unless you are using Siri constantly, which does not seem to be the case. I recommend restoring your iPad from a local backup or an iCloud backup. Visit the Apple Support Page article linked below in order to find instructions on how to backup your device from iCloud or a local backup.

Best of luck.

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

May 1, 2016 4:14 AM in response to Macology

Thanks for the input Macology.

Yep, could turn off Siri but sorta becomes a pain in the a-- to turn it off/on. Last evening, with 97% power battery I did not ask Siri to open Airplane App, nor I go to settings and do it manually. Just left the wifi on. Awoke this AM and battery is 97%. Hmm, wonder if there is a way to clear the battery info and pinpoint Siri's drain of the battery? Ah well.....

Siri is using up my battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.